PDA

View Full Version : Dealer appointment Follow up!

Whitpirate
02-16-2005, 10:56
Well after the sputter and stalling I've got an appointment at the dealer. 87k miles with dealer replaced long block in 97.

Codes - 18, 35, 36, 49.

I'm fairly confident I've got PMD issues but would like to hear folks comments and input on what is the best way to get Chev/GMC to honor the warranty.

Had a fresh oil change/fuel filter about 30 days ago, running Standyne One Shots now with tank (last 2).

Little lost but hoping for some insight on what to expect.

Thanks in advance.....

Whitpirate

[ 02-18-2005, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Whitpirate ]

More Power
02-16-2005, 12:54
You might want to take a look at the following member Tech Page (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/DSwarranty.htm) concerning the DS4 warranty coverage and preparing for a dealer visit.

MP

Whitpirate
02-16-2005, 13:05
I will as soon as my renewal gets processed..... *sigh* Nothing like not paying attention to the calendar. Isn't it always the way it is that when you realize you need something you've forgotten it or it isn't ready to go?

Seems that way for me.

Kennedy
02-16-2005, 13:10
The DTC 18 may well get you a new pump.

Be VERY sure that your fuel filter and tank are full of good fresh CLEAN fuel. They are basically going to check it out thoroughly, and any metal shavings or junk in the filter bowl will hang you up with warranty.

All VERY well documented on the page that MP referenced...

Whitpirate
02-16-2005, 14:25
Thanks for the quick turnaround on the renewal MP! And thanks for the tips John. Hoping for the best....

Whitpirate
02-18-2005, 10:31
Well, after a long day spent at the dealer it looks like I'm getting a new pump.

When I first dropped it off I was told I needed to pay a 249 "diagnostic fee"

Then was told that Chevy had changed the 00064 bulletin to a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty, and that my truck (95 C3500 dually, 82k) did not fall under it.

After pressing them that I believed a program did exisit, they wanted to "test" it, and thanks to the DieselPage help, I was ready for all the checklists. The pump failed, and I was told it was going to be around "3800.00" for the pump and installation, at which point I said "let's check on that warranty again." Service counter guy didn't want to do it, so I asked for the Manager, the Manager did a little eyeroll and then said "he'd look into it, so just pay for the diagnostic and we'll get back to you." I told them I didn't have anywhere to be that was going to cost 3800.00 so I'd just wait til they could get me an answer. The shop mechanic and I talked about the truck while they went and did it, and the mechanic was a great guy and was aware of the program but said "I was told they changed it but I don't know, because it looks like Standyne isn't participating anymore..." so I was pretty down. Then the mechanic was called to the Manager's office and told "tell that guy he'll have to pay or he can leave." So he came back, and I went to the manager and asked for a phone and Chevy's cutomer care number..... then suddenly after another 20 minute wait..... it came back that the parts are being shipped from Chevy, will be here next week and yep, the installation and parts are not to be charged to me...... THANKS DIESEL PAGE AND EVERYONE FOR ALL THE GREAT HELP AND ADVICE. My wife thanks you as well as she's off with my mother shopping with our new found "wealth" as I'd been saving for a pump.

Craig M
02-18-2005, 10:45
$3800.00 should get a new engine, not just an injection pump! Did you pay the $249.00 diagnostic fee?

Whitpirate
02-18-2005, 10:53
Nope!

rjwest
02-18-2005, 12:38
Be carefull, If they were willing to steal before,
What else will they find bad when doing the warrenty.

I hate to burst your bubble, BUT I WOULD NOT STEP 1 FOOT IN A DEALERSHIP THAT HAS TRIED TO SCREW YOU UP FRONT.

Maybe a " no other work performed " work order.

Whitpirate
02-18-2005, 12:43
Good point I will make sure to have "must approve any change beyond explicit items" or something along those lines.

Marty Lau
02-18-2005, 13:00
After you get the new pump I would complain to both the General Manger and Chevy. Telling you you need a $249 diagnostic fee! Thats screwing you without a kiss. How long did they actully spend checking out your truck? I feel fortunat we have a good dealer locally here. I would also complain to the BBB that if you had not done your home work you would have been out almost 4 grand because they don't know their own warrenty info.

dmitch
02-18-2005, 18:06
Glad to hear you worked it out and got under the warranty.

I recently had a pump go bad on my 95 with 63,000 miles. I can tell you I had a much better experience. I left the truck at our local dealer and they called me late that afternoon to say the pump was bad and that Chevrolet will warranty everything. I guess much of this warranty stuff is dependent on the dealer.

Kidd
02-18-2005, 19:40
A lot depends on the dealer, I posted earlier my very good experience with a Chevy dealer, they changed anything to do with the fuel system, cleaned the tank and even changed my coolant. All courtesy of GM. Oh, I did have to pay to replace the fuel cap.. not a biggie. :D
K.D.

curmudge1
02-21-2005, 09:39
$3800! about a year and a half ago, I gave up on 2 rebuilt pumps & took my 6.5 to a GMC dealer, this was way out of warranty, no question there, maybe 165k or more miles.

They only do new pumps because of warranty issues, but it was about $2000-2200 or so all told, including a new chip. With a warranty on the pump & work.

Has worked out OK for me.