PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 (J) heads

mdapperdan
04-05-2004, 14:46
I have purchased a set of '94 J heads from a van and was hoping that someone could tell me what problems I might have if any? Such as head bolt configureation. I will be Installing them on a '85 6.2 N/A. Also while I have these heads in for a rework should I have the machinest reworked them for the water passages?
Thanks Dan

Dieselboy
04-05-2004, 14:54
Good call on snagging a set of 6.5L heads. They should bolt right up to your 6.2L block, but it might be a good idea to have them rebuilt with new seals and valves where they're needed. I'm unsure what difficulties you'll have when it comes time to install the intake. To my knowledge, they use a different intake pattern and are incompatable with C/K intakes - single or dual plane. I don't think you'll need to machine out any cooling passages. Just take advantage of the ability to use 6.5TD head gaskets.

Aside from that, they should come with the T prechambers, so if you after horsepower then stick with them, but if economy is a concern, then swapping in the smaller 6.2L perchambers will net you some better mpg figures.

Have fun! :cool:

Craig M
04-05-2004, 15:14
Think I have head other state that the injectors and injector tubes are different on the vans. Not sure if it is just the injectors or the heads that are different.