PDA

View Full Version : Recommended head gaskets

More Power
02-23-2005, 09:51
I've always recommended Fel-Pro head gaskets, and I continue to recommend Fel-Pro's 9701PT 6.5 gaskets for those 6.2L engines that do not contain a specific passage in the head. The R&R Guide (now Troubleshooting & Repair Guide) contains a photo of a 6.2 head (http://www.thedieselpage.com/images/headgasket65on62.jpg), showing what passage to look for. Don't use the 6.5 gaskets if your 6.2 heads contain that passage - use the Fel-Pro 6.2 gaskets instead.

In discussions with Fel-Pro back in the late 90's, I learned that they invested considerable effort to solving the head gasket problems that 6.2/6.5 engines developed. At the time, none of the other head gasket companies returned my emails or have tried to contact me through the years. So, my recommendation to use Fel-Pro remains in the various literature. Plus, the 6.5 Project engine (with Fel-Pro 9701PT gaskets) continues to do very well - after six years and 156,000 miles.

MP

arveetek
02-23-2005, 12:27
Has anyone actually ever installed the brass plug in the cylinder heads (GM PN-14077197) mentioned in this cylinder head article? (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/gmheads.htm) I was wondering if installing that kit, if it's still available (GMPartsdirect doesn't list it), would allow us to use the better 6.5L gaskets with the early 6.2L heads?

I'm assuming that since I have an '82 engine, that I will have the debated coolant passages. I'd like to get all my parts on hand before pulling the engine.

Is there any other way to seal that cleanout passage and still use the 6.5L gaskets, I wonder?

Casey

arveetek
02-23-2005, 13:01
Okay, I talked to Benny Avant again, and he said that blocking off the coolant passage with the aforementioned brass plugs would allow me to use the 6.5L gaskets. He said the 6.5L gaskets are not only stronger, but would slightly lower compression on a 6.2L due to added combustion area.

However, I called my local GM dealer and discovered that part number 14077197 was discontinued in March of 2001, so that leaves us early head users out in the cold regarding 6.5L gaskets.

I'd be afraid to try and seal off that passage with just some regular sealant, wouldn't you?
I suppose a machine shop could weld that hole shut...but that could get costly.

My current 6.2L Fel-Pro gaskets have held up just fine for over 120,000 miles....but I always like to use what's best.

By the way, Benny said that most of the Detroit Gasket problems he encountered were on 6.5L turbo engines...he doesn't recall too many 6.2L problems. Still, he said he doesn't want to look at another orange Detroit gasket again!

Casey

More Power
02-23-2005, 13:48
Casey, Just visit a local hobby/craft shop, and pick up a small brass sheet about 1/32" thick, then cut and shape a cup shaped plug for that passage. A little tin smith work will allow you to make that plug.

GM's original kit included a sealant (like red Loc-Tite) to seal the plug in place. I've thought that a little light brazing or silver solder would work as well (though I haven't tried it).

Clean the inside edges of that passageway using a die grinder or Dremel tool to allow a good smooth fit of the brass cupped plug.

MP

arveetek
02-24-2005, 06:22
Thanks Jim....I might just give that a try!

Casey