PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filtration

jcomp
04-07-2004, 15:34
I'm replacing my mechanical pump with an electric setup, and am looking at revising the way my fuel filters are set up. I'm looking for some opinions before I start buying parts...

My truck is an 83 with dual filters. I have had the secondary filter become plugged after 2 tanks of fuel in the past (lucky me), so I want to replace it with a larger one and relocate it so that it is easier to get to. I realize that the more dirt removed the better, but what is a reasonable specification to look for in a replacement? According to the Haynes manual, the original filters remove everything down to 10 microns. Is that true?

I was thinking about moving my original primary filter down under the truck to filter the fuel before the fuel pump and putting this filter (http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page26.html) in its place as a replacement secondary under the hood.

Also, does anyone know if an oil filter (Motorcraft FL1A or equivalent) will withstand diesel fuel? A dual setup of oil filters sounds good as a prefilter for the fuel pump. The filters wouldn't hang down as low and would be cheaper.

So, am I smoking crack or what?

NH2112
04-07-2004, 17:06
Right now I'm running my C1500 with a single Racor filter/water separator with 2 micron element. Before too long I'm going to install the stock filter from my K10 on the suction side of the lift pump, with the Racor on the pressure side. It'll take a bit of creative hosework, and I may even make a bracket to mount both of them on the fender, but I think it'll make my lift pump happier and my 2 micron filter won't plug up so quickly due to bigger pieces of debris.

I don't know if a filter designed specifically for oil will withstand diesel fuel, but filters such as Napa 3378 and 3379 are spin-ons with pleated paper elements, just like oil filters. I don't know if oil filters are rated to handle the fuel volume that fuel filters are, though. My Racor 45S 2 micron element has a 45GPH flow rate, but I'm not sure how much oil filters flow.

CleviteKid
04-08-2004, 05:39
I would not recommend using a lube oil filter for diesel fuel. The lighter fractions, and the additives that might be in No. 2 could attack the plastisols and adhesives and binders in the lube oil filter and destroy it right quick. Even lube oil, over time, will degrade the internal materials in a lube oil filter.

The manufacturers of the electric lift pumps recommend what you want to do, putting the primary filter BEFORE the pump. Your stock primary should work OK. The Racor 10 micron as a secondary should be OK, but the finer, the better. Filters are cheaper than injection pumps and injectors.

Dr. Lee :cool:

JeepSJ
04-08-2004, 14:34
As I piece together all the parts for my conversion, my goal is to go from tank through a 10 micron filter, through the lift pump, then through a 2 micron.

jcomp
04-08-2004, 16:31
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm going to try to find a spin-on fuel filter that will work with the dual oil filter adapter I have. I sent Amsoil's tech department an e-mail and I'll go bug the parts guy tomorrow.

If I can't find anything, or the filters are too expensive, then I'll probably go with using my factory primary filter before the electric pump and then the perma-cool 2 micron filter/water separator after. That should be good enough to protect the new 4911 pump and the new 6.5TD injectors I ordered yesterday :D

jcomp
04-10-2004, 18:12
Here's what I sent Amsoil:

I have 2 questions:
1. Can an oil filter be used to filter diesel fuel? Will the filter media be destroyed by the fuel?

2. Do you offer a spin-on diesel fuel filter that can be used with a mount intended for a Fram PH8A oil filter? If so, what size particles will it filter out?
Here's their reply:

Fuel filters are a completely different type of media. We offer the Hastings FF934 spin-on fuel filter.

PART NUMBER: FF935

Descriptions : Fuel Spin-on

Fits :

Replaces : Renault 870175600, 947718018; Baldwin BF719

Thread : 3/4-16

O.D. : 3 11/16 (93.7)

Length : 4 3/8 (111.1)

I.Gskt : [1] Included They also included a picture of the FF935 with their specs, and I'm assuming the FF935 is the correct number, not the FF934 they mentioned. Either way, it's a good starting point.