PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild Cost of 6.2

jcomp
04-08-2004, 16:50
What started off as a blown head gasket and stretched timing chain has turned into a full rebuild.

I took the machine shop the assembled short block and they rebuilt it (including reassembly). The block was bored, block and crank were magnafluxed, crank was checked for straightness, etc. They also sold me a set of (core) 6.5 heads and rebuilt them, including repairing 2 cracks (using the DieselPage valve guide method) and replacing 2 valves.

The total cost, including all the parts (full engine rebuild kit, 6.5 heads, valves), was $1600. That sounds very reasonable to me, what do you guys think?

CleviteKid
04-08-2004, 17:14
The reason TheDieselPage.com exists is because the founder paid over $3000 for an engine rebuild that was not necessary - all it needed was one bad lifter replaced. He just wanted to share his knowledge with other 6.2L owners, and it sorta snowballed.

So yes, it sounds like you got a very fair price.

Dr. Lee :cool:

cubby
04-08-2004, 18:52
Sounds like a good deal to me. Especially with the rebuilt 6.5 heads that you got.
I just finished 6.2 rebuild with a 6.5 block. I had all the parts that I needed, except the gaskets,Bearings,and the $350.00 set of piston rings :mad: :mad: . Total cost about $1000.00. smile.gif
I had two days of research on TDP to see if it would fit together, and another two days to put it together. All went well and it runs great smile.gif smile.gif

April 13th I am starting on the 91' Blazer with my sons, and maybe even the wife, since it is her truck. She will be taking alot of pictures. I'll have her post them.