PDA

View Full Version : Crank Damper Removal-Help.

rjwest
10-22-2004, 03:27
OK: Ready to change Vibration Damper..

1. Do I need the " Tool " as stated in GM manual.

2. Is there a " fits All " available ( Napa , etc
( ? All GM Dampers put on the same way , or is
the diesel different).

3. WHAT CAN I SCREW UP ? usually I just bang away, but very concerned with working on crank shaft...
( I would take it to a shop, but my past experiences in Jacksonville Fl have all been BAD ).

Please , Would like some Help......

Thanks...

catmandoo
10-22-2004, 04:02
if your talking removal just a basic puller that you can run 2 bolts in will work,BUT you will need a little lug that sets on the crank to protect the threads on the crank.once off then you need a tool to pull it back on.i bought one years ago and it has different size tips for standard metric fords gm,etc,etc.then it has a bearing and a big nut,ya screw the inner shaft into the crank then put balancer on then the bearing and nut and tighten down the nut and it pulls the balancer on,you should be able to rent one from autozone,or o'reillys.definatly use one do not beat it on,these cranks are fragile enough the way it is.

Dvldog 8793
10-22-2004, 04:13
RJ-
did you already buy the damper? I have a NIB one that I will give such a bargain on!
Let me know.....
L8r
Conley Janssen

rjwest
10-22-2004, 05:51
Sorry to say, I already bought the dampner...

Starting the job now. May just pull the Pully and see how hard the job is...Got a fits all puller,
not sure how good it is...

rjwest
10-22-2004, 06:30
OK , I got the pully off.
IS it The PULLY that shifts position ?
( Bolts are about 1/2-1 inch off center )
I t does noy appear that the Damper will affect
the position of the bolts on the pully.

Is it the Pully that should be changed?

Harmonic balancer looks ok.
What do I inspect for the Harmonic balancer.

cruzer
10-22-2004, 06:57
The dampener has a center metal hub(where the bolt holes are)and a metal outer ring, between these 2 pieces is rubber(thin black line). Inspect the front and back side and look for cracks or slippage between the 2 metal parts. The rubber is more evident on the back side. Same goes for the pulley too. I'd replace both if 1 is in question. But, that's just me.

farmerherb
10-22-2004, 16:48
Dvldog, I'm looking for a balancer(inside one, not pulley).How much do want for it? I have located one at a good price, but always looking for a bargain.