PDA

View Full Version : I need new pistons: what kind, where to buy?

arveetek
02-28-2005, 14:48
As you may have read in my other thread, I need to bore my block and install oversize pistons. The 19:1 Peninsular Diesel pistons appeal to me, but they don't make oversize pistons. My local auto supply wants $400 for a set of 8 standard compression pistons, plus another $240 for rings, which seems high to me. I see Kennedy offers 6.5L oversize pistons with rings for $395, so I know I can beat $640.

Any suggestions? Anyone else besides Peninsular that makes lower compression pistons? Best price on regular pistons?

Thanks!

Casey

NH2112
02-28-2005, 15:20
I found these on eBay, Casey.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33623&item=7958308529&rd=1

82beast
02-28-2005, 16:27
Try Jamie at the diesel depot. He should be able to set you up with the 18-1s in an oversize bore. Couldnt tell you what it would cost though?

arveetek
02-28-2005, 19:51
Thaks for the link, Phil. I had already bookmarked that auction! ;) I'm not totally thrilled with his feedback. Looks like a good deal, though. I may call him when I find out what size I need.

I may have to give Jamie a call and see what's available.

John Kennedy did email me back and said that he is able to get stock compression 6.2L pistons for about the same price as the 6.5L, so that's good news. He can make custom low compression pistons as well, but that's getting into some serious money.

What are ya'll's thoughts regarding stock vs. low-compression pistons? Is it worth the extra cost? Is it worth the harder winter starting? Will it really help longevity?

Casey

arveetek
03-01-2005, 07:13
I talked with Benny at the Diesel Depot this morning, and he is going to make me some custom 20:1 ceramic-coated pistons for a great price. He suggests not going lower than that for the 6.2L. Much lower, and they smoke some and are hard to start.

Casey