PDA

View Full Version : General engine broducts block?

Bruce Ostien
02-16-2005, 11:06
A guy at the shop where I work has a 98' cab chassis / box unit that he had custom built. It has a Monroe 4 wheel drive, a PTO driven hydraulic pump which powers an air compressor and crane. The box is tall and wide and loaded with every tool imaginable. He is running over weight at around 15,000 lbs has had the whole back end drop down to the ground twice after the rear wheel studs sheared off. He plans his trips to avoid the weigh stations because he is afraid of being ticketed. The transmission is a manual and in 5th, his rpm's are up there. The engine has been replaced twice at the dealer (cracked blocks) so the truck is on it's 3rd engine in about 120K. He has had a-lot of problems keeping clutches in it and the dealer has tried about every one made. The current style clutch seems to be working so far. Just came back from the dealer with new head gaskets last week.

I have only done exhaust and gages to my 99' suburban but have told him about some of the available mod's for the 6.5. He usually gives me some response about the motor blowing up sooner and believes that if they were intended to be there that GM would have put them there in the first place.

Just out of curiosity I took down some numbers off his block and was wondering whether he got a GEP block. The number is 12555506. I found that looking down into the V at the back of the engine.

JoeyD
02-16-2005, 11:19
Sounds like a 3500HD that is rated at 15,000GVW. Sounds like a lot of weight anyways for a 6.5 with no mods.
As far as the block, I believe the GEP blocks have the navistar logo on the side near the motor mount or in the valley. If it's a 3500HD he has plenty of room for a big intercooler in front of the radiator.

Bruce Ostien
02-16-2005, 12:57
Yes it is a 3500HD. Where I got the number there was a small quarter sized logo embossed but I don't remember the exact shape. I think it was a sideways diamond shape with a box around it.

rjschoolcraft
02-16-2005, 13:01
That sounds like the Navistar logo.

Bruce Ostien
02-16-2005, 13:20
Navistar makes the Powerjoke do they not? Are they one and the same as General Engine Products or a division of? Kind of ironic if the same company makes the Powerstroke and the 6.5.

rjschoolcraft
02-16-2005, 14:33
GEP is not in anyway part of Navistar... GEP buys their block castings from Navistar's foundry. This is quite common. Chrysler used to buy castings from GM's Central Foundry Division, etc.

marktara
02-26-2005, 20:45
Just check my block and it has the same number 12555506 and my truck is a 1998 1/2ton, just wondering if this is the orginial block

Diesel Depot
02-27-2005, 10:47
A block casting ending in "506" can be the last gneration of GM block or possibly one of the later GEP blocks. To know you really need to look at the casting date on the passengers side rear of the block. There will be a 4 digit code starting with a letter followed by 3 numbers. I.E. "G261". The "1" would tell me that it was cast in '01. The latest GEP blocks that are casted by Navistar have the NAV logo (two diamonds side by side) and all that I have seen have actually had a date like "01-02-04" on the passengers side rear of the block in the same location as the earlier casting dates.