PDA

View Full Version : I just installed Stans Headers

Rod@Night
03-01-2005, 08:29
Almost perfect fit. Very hard to get the passenger side bolts started in some holes because I can only bend my body and fingers in so many ways. On one bolt hole I had to get the bolt started with the header as far back from the head as I could get it as the bolt side was touching the header pipe and could not get started strait..I had to use 3 different sizes and types of 3/8 wrenches turning 1/4 to 1/2 revolution at a time..I was in every position except standing on my head. On the drivers side, easy install. Had to use 2 1/2 spacers between the header and the A/C bracket to get the bracket in its proper posn. Had to remove all glow plugs and 3 injectors from passenger side...Opted for the felpro gaskets rather than the paper gaskets Stan sent..

smcghan
03-02-2005, 22:33
Rod@nite,
I don't see what your rig is? Were they pricey? What size pipes are following the headers? Running mufflers? Finally did you notice any seat of the pants performance differance?
Sorry so many ?'s. Steven

Rod@Night
03-03-2005, 08:22
I have a 84 6.2 Pickup with 200K on it.. The headers were about 500 bucks. They open up to a three inch exhaust. I dont have the exhaust on yet but I see myself going three inch all the way back, cross pipe and turbo mufflers..The kid wants strait pipes. I cant comment on there specific addition to the power as I replaced my IP, timing chain at the same time and just last night put the intake manifold back on...so it will be another evening or two before I turn it over. One other comment on the installation of the headers is that i should have ground the lip off the headers where they are right below the injectors. There is not enough space there to et a 30 MM socket on the injectors..I ground down my socket sence I had the heads allready installed. They were a bit of a painto get the bolts started and tight..Especially on the Passenger side. Take out all the glow plugs and the 3 injectors towards the front of the engine on the passenger side...On the drivers side I had to remove glow plugs only.

Stray Cat
03-04-2005, 13:12
FYI...I just posted the results of a dyno test we did of Hooker Competition Long-pipe headers on a 6.2L N/A engine...thought you might be interested!

G. Gearloose
03-04-2005, 13:52
Straight pipes will peel the paint off houses above 2100 rpm or so.