PDA

View Full Version : Tuning The Injector Pump: Guesses Or Gauges?

Duncan Sterling
07-19-2005, 19:02
OK, so I put in the stinger kit on my suburban, but I haven't yet touched the pump.

Seems to breath better, but not a lot more power to speak of. The weird thing is that it accelerates better with less throttle rather than more--more throttle makes more noise and higher EGT's (seem to peak out about 900F) but not much else. About 1/3 throttle seems to get the best acceleration at the moment.

Does this indicate too lean of a mixture? The Banks paperwork says to turn up the pump 1/8 turn, but is there a better/more accurate way to "tune" the pump? For instance, can I take it to a Stanadyne dealer and have them hook it up to an exhaust analyzer and tune the pump setting more accurately that way?

Or is it just hit or miss thing to fiddle with the pump until it seems "right"?

TIA,

--Duncan

john8662
07-20-2005, 04:57
You can remove the injection pump and give it to a pump builder and have them turn the fuel up for you.

But, that's going to cost some dough and the time in the R&R, and turning up the pump isn't realy that bad. Turning up the pump 1/8 turn is a good starting place. This is one of those play with it kind of things, because if it gets too much fuel, you'll be making black smoke. A little at WOT is normal, but making lots of smoke isn't good for the engine and your fellow drivers on the road.

moondoggie
07-20-2005, 07:53
Good Day!

[i]

Duncan Sterling
07-20-2005, 09:59
[quote]Originally posted by moondoggie:
[b] Good Day!

[i]

moondoggie
07-21-2005, 04:29
Good Day!