PDA

View Full Version : new coolant,

TonyL
04-14-2004, 00:31
I justt got every thing back together after pulling the radiator and replacing the core support, I also drained the block and replaced all hoses and thermostat. My question is with no coolant in the block and the new thermostat in the closed position, will the water pump draw the coolant into the motor when i start it up or should I have filled the block prior to installing the t-stat. I am just waiting to start up so a quick respone is gratly appreciated.

TIA

Tony

Peter J. Bierman
04-14-2004, 04:59
Just fill her up with all the coolant you can get in there.
Start the engine and let it idle.
Top up the coolant in the proces and after warm up and a short drive top up again.
It will take a wile and some driving for all the air to come out but after a wile the coolant level will set at normal level.

Good luck,

Peter

TonyL
04-14-2004, 05:31
so just filling the radiator will be fine?

thanks tony

CleviteKid
04-14-2004, 05:41
Yes, just pour your 50-50 mix in the radiator, slowly. Some will migrate thru the lower hose into the block. You should be able to add two to three gallons this way. Then start the engine, with the cap off the radiator, and keep adding coolant as the water pump draws in coolant and expels air. In about 15 minutes your engine should be warm enough to crack open the thermostat and get rid of the bulk of the air to the radiator. Replace the radiator cap, then go for a drive - 10 to 15 minutes is enough - and recheck the coolant level. Keep checking the coolant daily for a week or two.

Keep track of how much you put in - by the time you are done you should have put around six gallons in. It may take a few days for the last of the air to purge itself around to the top of the radiator.

Dr. Lee :cool:

TonyL
04-14-2004, 05:47
Thanks alot.

Tony

TonyL
04-19-2004, 14:17
Well I filled up the radiator, started it up and let it run for about 20-25 minutes. I was expectiong the themostat to open and the coolant level in the radiator to go way down but this did not happen. My newly installed temp gage never went over 180 degress(installed 180 deg. t-stat). Does this seem correct or is it possible to have a defective t-stat? Any ideas would be great.

Thanks,
Tony

dieselbegreat
04-19-2004, 19:08
From what you've described, I don't see a problem. Now follow the procedures as directed.