PDA

View Full Version : Thicker head gaskets

Alaska Aviator
04-15-2004, 13:56
Got a question for the knowlegdeable ones out there - I'm going to try the DB2-4911 pump, 6.5L injectors and TEO6h Turbo. At the present I have standard thickness 6.5L head gaskets installed and I am going to have to pull one head anyway (to have the coolant passages sleeved) - when I did the heads before I was unaware that .010 thicker gaskets were available and I had had them milled before replacing.

My question is should I go ahead and pull both heads and install the thicker head gaskets to compensate for milling or will .010 make that much of a difference in compression ratio.

Since I replaced the head gaskets before the engine has run great with the banks turbo and having the timing advanced.

TIA
AA

jcomp
04-16-2004, 14:55
I would also like to know the answer to this. I just picked up my engine from the machinist and I'm getting ready to bolt it all together. My heads were also milled.

rumbler1
04-17-2004, 16:54
I had my heads done just before I rebuilt the entire 6.2. When the heads were resurfaced it didn't require the thicker gaskets, but when the block was resurfaced to the tune of .010 it did, the reason being that with the block cut down that much the pistons protruded beyond specs. I have Felpro .010 over gaskets in there for a year now, running a Banks Sidewinder turbo, and have no problems with it whatsoever.

AndyL
04-17-2004, 19:06
I have never heard of anyone actually having the problem but, thicker head gaskets allow for increase outward force due to the increased surface area on the gasket. Reason says the .010" thicker gaskets should be easier to blow out.