PDA

View Full Version : Rear Main Seal and ...?

PeteRock
07-22-2005, 16:58
I've recently purchased an '83 GMC conversion van with a 6.2L in it. The previous owner parked it most of the time and only used it for vacations. The odometer says 55k, and judging by the oil change records/reciepts (only ~1000 miles in the last year), I think the milage might be accurate. The engine runs great, but it leaks oil pretty good from the rear main seal. I just check it regularly and keep on going, but one of these weekends I'd like to fix it. I'm looking for suggestions about what else I should change and what I might look for/inspect while I've got the oil pan off. Will I need to change the oil pan gasket, too? Is there a seal in the front on the bottom of the timing chain cover that I should replace? What else? Are there typical 6.2L problems or signs that I should look for while I can see the bottom end of the engine? Any recommendations on parts? brands? dealers/stores/websites?

All of your suggestions are very much appreciated.

-Pete

john8662
07-22-2005, 21:23
Welcome to The Diesel Page Forums!

About the rear main seal, what you need is simple really. You'll need a new seal for the back of the oil pan, this can be purchased seperatly at the dealer. A full tube of RTV sealant, a new rear main seal, get the neoprene version that felpro makes, thats available at your local parts store. The seal in your 6.2 now is a rope seal. You'll also need a small tube of anerobic sealant, this will be used on the rear bearing cap on a specified location. You'll really want a good repair book, The Hayes Diesel Repair manual for the 6.2 is a good start.

Besides the parts you'll need for the repair, you'll also want access to a good torque wrench, to do things right.

To be frank, there isn't much that you'll be looking for while you have the pan off. You will be able to inspect the engine for the dreded bottom end cracking that occurs on some engines. You'll also want to establish whether you're going to keep 'er for ever. If you are you might consider upgrading to a Stud Girdle on the bottom end for some reinforcement. More info on the product can be found on www.dieselservices.com (http://www.dieselservices.com) under products for the GM 6.2L.

The rear main seal change isn't that bad, but plan for a couple of days of getting dirty! According to my manual, in vans you don't have to remove the engine mount bolts and raise the engine in order to get sufficient clearance to get the pan off. But, it says you'll have to remove the oil pump with the pan loose but almost off, before the pan can come completly off the engine block, Just a tip!

Oh, and I almost forgot, you will also find a wealth of information on this forum by using the "Search" feature on the top of the forum pages that is on the top right hand side of the webpage, or to the right of the Chevy Truck icon. Enjoy!

John

doncannon
07-27-2005, 19:11
I had to beat lightly of the dipstick to get it loose. on the front of the oil pan it should require rtv. watch that the oil pump has the pick up tube. mine was laying in the bottom of the pan.