PDA

View Full Version : Racor Engine Mounted Filter

Lone Eagle
04-14-2003, 16:22
I have been following the post OEM filter change out with great interest. I couldn't decide weather the air that some were getting was entraped when installing the filter or being pulled in through a leak. I decided to try mounting mine high on the engine to see if that would work. If vibration doesn't cause any problems I think I have a good installation. It took 73 strokes on the OEM primer to get rid of the air. The engine started right up and idled normally. I have posted some photos for those interested. I am new at the photo posting. I am sure some one will let me know if this doesn't work. Later! Lone Eagle

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/rm11234/lst?.dir=/Pictures&.view=t

[ 04-14-2003: Message edited by: Lone Eagle ]</p>

Raptorrider2001
04-14-2003, 16:45
Lone Eagle. I would like to see some pictures showing how you connected it to the original one.

Budz
04-14-2003, 18:30
Lone Eagle, looks like a good install. I particularly like the positioning. Very innovative. Also having the filter mounted high should be great for bleeding off the air with the pet cock. I would think that the fuel tank pressurization method might be very easy with your mounting location. Did you use a 2 micron filter?

Budz

Lone Eagle
04-14-2003, 18:41
Raptor, Running the line from the OEM filter to the new one was the biggest challenge. I used exactly 3' of hose for each run with hose clamps on both ends. This is a 2 micron. I was only going to put air in the tank as a last resort. 3.5 PSI will blow up a 55 gal. steel drumb. I will get a couple more photos of the fuel line routing. Later! Lone Eagle ;)

txguppy
04-14-2003, 20:32
Hey Lone Eagle, ditto on Raptors request for tap-in pix/info. Also, where did you get the filter and housing? Finally, did the petcock come w/ the filter housing?

Thanx,

txguppy

Lone Eagle
04-14-2003, 20:44
txguppy, I bought the filter from Diesel Injection Service. The petcock I had in my brass drawer. It is 1/8" screwed into a 3/8" to 1/8" brass bushing. I will take some pictures outside tomorrow of the hose routing. I will have to take the air intake back off to do a good job. Later! Lone Eagle ;)

Bush Pilot
04-14-2003, 20:44
Lone Eagle which filter did you buy.

Bush Pilot
04-14-2003, 20:46
Lone Eagle which filter and housing did you buy?

Lone Eagle
04-14-2003, 20:53
Bush Pilot, It is a 660R2 just like the one 56Nomad uses. If it starts normally tomorrow and doesn't have any leaks I will be pleased. Later! Lone Eagle :D

txguppy
04-14-2003, 21:21
Thanks Lone Eagle, look forward to pix.

KompressorMan
04-15-2003, 04:46
Lone Eagle, You did a great job on your install!!! What micron rating is the filter?
Herb

hoot
04-15-2003, 07:21
Lone Eagle,

I've been waiting for this. So far it looks like the best scenario. Easy to access. I have the exact filter laying on my work bench for a couple of weeks now. Glad I waited.

Nice job and thanks for posting the pics.

Nomad,

Time to move your filter again ;)

Jelisfc
04-15-2003, 07:51
Lone Eagle, kudos on the install. What are your bracket dimensions and overall filter height? The location looks great but I'm concerned my '03 hood may sit lower and need to do some measuring first.

Lone Eagle
04-15-2003, 15:24
Well here is the latest on the my 2 micron Racor install. No leaks this morning and she started right up. After I took the little worman to breakfast I let the truck sit for a couple hours. I put a couple drops of oil in the top of the bleed valve and slowly opened it. It sucked the oil in. I closed it and pumped one full stroke on the primer to get fuel out. This was great as far as I am concerned. Note: The bleed valve is in the out-port on top of the filter. I had it in the in-port to start with and got fuel in a very few strokes. I knew that wasn't right and switched it to the out-port. Like I said yesterday, the only concern I have is with vibration. I am sure this filter is designed to be mounted anywhere but I am not sure. Time will tell. I have taken a lot of photos of the lines routing and am going to start uploading as soon as I finish this post. I will be glade to answer any questions. I just used scrap iron I had in the rack. The piece that is bolted to the engine is 3X2X1/4 angle. The verticle piece is two pieces of 1/8" bolted together. I tries just one thickness of the 1/8" to start with. I thumped it on the side and it vibrated too much. The filter needs to be three inches from the compressor and 12" high measured from the flat part of the power steering pump so the water bleed doesn't hit when changing filters. Mine looks like it will clear. I wasn't about to unscrew it to see for sure. If I were to build another bracket, I would buy a six inch long piece of 3X3X1/4" angle and a piece of 1/4 flat and weld it together. I don't know if you guys noticed that the filter is not square with the bracket. I decided after looking at the OEM filter that the new Racor should be level. Later! Lone Eagle ;)

mackin
04-15-2003, 15:50
Lone Eagle

"The Best I've seen yet" top shelf..... This may just get me to do it.....If you don't mind one more copy cat,hope not ....

That just may bring Trace back.... ;)

MAC :D :D :D

chipper
04-15-2003, 15:54
Lone Eagle,
Great job. I like your mount best of all that have been posted. Could you post some pics of how you hooked in to the OEM filter?

Lone Eagle
04-15-2003, 16:22
Mackin, Have at it. I don't have any patent rights. Ha! I just hope I didn't miss anything in the design. Chipper, the line routing photos are on line at the link above. Later! Lone Eagle :D

dmaxstu
04-15-2003, 20:21
Well I'm back from the war(watching it on TV that is).
I then tuned into a fuel filter post. I wanted to share what I found out today about fuel filters.I went to the NAPA truck parts store and they told me they had a fuel filter for the Dmax Napa #3810. When I asked if they knew how many microns it was they immediately got on the phone to filter hotline and determined it was 2 microns. I am now toying with the idea of mounting a 10 micron unit on the frame where 56nomad originally mounted his racor and replacing the OEM cartridge with the 2 miron Napa cartridge. Now my question is has anyone else been aware of this napa fuel filter and whether my idea wich seems inherently simpler than mounting on the engine has merit and achieve the same result that everyone is striving for?Stu

a bear
04-15-2003, 22:10
Guys,
I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here but you won't trap air with most filter setups that have the outlet coming off the top of the filter base. If you have a leak the small bubbles will just go with the flow if there is no place for them to accumulate. Basicly you can have a leak and not know it if the quantity is not large enough to cause rough running. I am slowly becoming convinced that some of the failed (moon cratered) injector issues are likely the result of cavitation from undetected air entry.
:D

Kennedy
04-15-2003, 22:27
Neat install! If my monstrosity would fit there I'd consider it.

dmaxstu,

ALL filters currently available for the OE mount are the exact same. Experience has shown the 2 micron rating to be extremely optimistic...

Lone Eagle
04-15-2003, 22:37
a bear, Did you read the part in one of my earlier post where I said my Racor still had a vacuum on it after sitting three hours. I would say mine doesn't have any leaks or entraped air. And I differ with you on air not collecting in the top of the filter. Air will collect in the hightest point in any fluid system. Desolved oxygen no but free air yes. Later! Lone Eagle ;)

[ 04-16-2003: Message edited by: Lone Eagle ]</p>

Maverick
04-15-2003, 23:14
Looks like a great setup. Unfortunatly my dual alternator is in that spot. :(

NFLDMAX
04-16-2003, 05:29
Very nice.

Kennedy
04-16-2003, 08:13
The system will stand at approx 2"hg at all times due to the "weight" of the fuel in the lines trying to get back to the tank. Even if you pump it up to 10 psi, the psi WILL drop and become negative within MINUTES...

hoot
04-16-2003, 09:23
Mine won't fit there.... bummer. I have the big one. R90S

Lone Eagle
04-16-2003, 09:34
The point I was making is it won't stay at any pressure whether + or - if there is a leak. Later! Lone Eagle ;)

[ 04-16-2003: Message edited by: Lone Eagle ]

[ 04-16-2003: Message edited by: Lone Eagle ]</p>

Lone Eagle
04-16-2003, 11:07
Hoot, Can't you put a shorter element on yours? How tall is it? Later! Lone Eagle

hoot
04-16-2003, 11:42
Lone Eagle,

Yes I could use the shorter filter but it would defeat the purpose. Maybe I might go with the shorter one since the post oem filter will filter pre-filtered fuel post oem.

Hows my Latin?

a bear
04-16-2003, 18:51
Lone Eagle,
Basically what I'm saying is if the filter is at the highest point it still can't accumulate air if the outlet sucks right off the top of the filter. The small amount of air would leave the filter as soon as it gets there.
Also if you have a air leak at the level of the tank you would still be able to hold vac at the top of the system. Much like pulling water into a drinking straw then putting your thumb over it. Even if there is a hole at the bottom you would still have a vac under your thumb untill you release the fluid. I was able to hold a vac on my system even with the leaks near the tank that I later repaired. On another note if the leak is at the high spot then the vac should fall. I definitly like your setup but I would still try that short clear hose between the EDU and OEM filter then pump the primer while running. If you don't see bubbles you should be good to go.
:D :D

[ 04-16-2003: Message edited by: a bear ]</p>

Lone Eagle
04-16-2003, 19:03
Hoot. Huh? Later! Lone Eagle

Lone Eagle
04-16-2003, 19:12
Well a bear I guess we just went to different schools. I ain't taking this no further. Hope you figure your problem out. I am done with mine. Later! Lone Eagle :D

a bear
04-16-2003, 20:02
Lone Eagle,
Thanks for the concern. Actually I did fix my leak. No School though. Just kinda hung out under the trucks & cane farming equip. with dear old Dad. Just thought I was helping a friend. Oh Well. :rolleyes:

Lone Eagle
04-16-2003, 20:33
Thanks a bear. I always appriciate your insight.I didn't have an air problem. I was following you and John's thread all the way. I don't know how we got tangled up in my thread on my engine mounted filter. Sounds like you repaired you leak and mine looks good so I guess we are cool. Later! Lone Eagle :D

56Nomad
04-19-2003, 21:02
Lone Eagle,

Nice install. Petcock bleeder is the way to go!

hoot wrote: "Nomad, Time to move your filter again"

Hoot....... no more changes for me. I'm happy with
my set-up. We just got back from a 1500 mile
trip with truck loaded with the toybox and quads.
Lots of mountain climbing, good fuel mileage, no
air trapped, and the knowing that my fuel is really
clean is really piece of mind.

Lone Eagle
04-20-2003, 22:22
Thanks Nomad. I have checked mine several times with no air. I think I will leve well enough alone and work on the exhaust. Later! Lone Eagle :D