PDA

View Full Version : Are reversed int/exh spring retainers okay?

dieselbegreat
04-17-2004, 13:43
Just noticed that the dealer :mad: who rebuilt this head 2 years ago has one cylinder's intake and exhaust spring retainers switched. (The exhaust valves have an extra spacer.) Will anything bad happen because of this? What are the spacers intended to do? Are they rotators or just spacers? Thanks.

CleviteKid
04-18-2004, 11:03
With 2 years successful operation, you have proved that everything is operating below the fatigue endurance limit, so you should be OK for the indefinite future. But I am not GUARANTEEING anything ;) .

Dr. Lee :cool:

dieselbegreat
04-18-2004, 12:33
Dr. Lee:
Good thing, too. I woulda held ya to it! ;)

Greg6.2
04-22-2004, 20:09
Installing the retainers on incorrectly will alter the spring rate due to incorrect spring installed height. My 1986 6.2 heads also have the rotaters on the exhaust valve. Since I'm currently rebuilding my heads I looked into this alittle further.

The spring seats(pad) are different heights for the intake and exhaust. The intake spring seat is approx .100" higher than the exhaust spring seat. This difference counteracts the different valve spring retainers. The rotator retainer will compress the spring approx .085" more than the intake retainer, so the factory made up the difference with the spring seat.

On the valves that have switched retainers, the Intake valve with the incorrect rotator retainer has approx .185" Less spring installed height and has way too much spring pressure than is needed. The exhuast valve with the incorrect non-rotator retainer has about .185" more/greater spring installed height and is putting out way less spring pressure than is required.

I would change the retainers to their proper location ASAP.

CleviteKid
04-23-2004, 05:11
Thanx, Greg.

I was looking at this from a catastrophic failure standpoint. You are correct that from a performance standpoint the lifter will be overloaded from the overcompressed spring, and may collapse, and the undercompressed spring will not allow the valve to follow the cam profile.

I agree, change these as soon as you can.

Dr. Lee :cool:

dieselbegreat
04-23-2004, 06:05
Too late. Already put the valve cover on and put everything back together. I'll let you know if something bad happens. Engine runs good now. Taking long trip today. smile.gif