PDA

View Full Version : Fan on switch?

Craig M
07-23-2005, 20:14
Our Peterbilt at work has a manual switch available for the fan. Left in the off switch, fan comes on at programed temperature. At the bottom of a large hill I turn the fan on manually never allowing the water to get to hot. Any similar "switch" available for our 6.2's?

john8662
07-24-2005, 09:34
I'm going to make the assumption that you're talking about an electric cooling fan mounted on the radiator on the Pete.

The short answer, is no factory electric cooling fans were used on the 6.2. The best thing for cooling the 6.2 is a factory cooling system in optimal condition. Which includes an accurate thermostat (Robershaw extra duty T-stat) a clean radiator, and heater core and a working fan clutch and of course the water pump (which doesn't wear the fins out, but just starts leaking when it fails).

Craig M
07-24-2005, 12:47
No, the Peterbilt has a standard belt/engine driven fan. The switch is an on/off toggle switch.

CareyWeber
07-24-2005, 17:04
Originally posted by Craig M:
No, the Peterbilt has a standard belt/engine driven fan. The switch is an on/off toggle switch. Horton makes electric fan clutches big diesels. IIRC they even make one that will fit the Dodge Cummins, but not for the 6.2/6.5.

Carey

[ 07-24-2005, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: CareyWeber ]

arveetek
07-25-2005, 06:41
Yeah, most of the big rig trucks have an electric fan clutch that can be operated automatically or manually. I've seen them available for the 5.9L Cummins, like Carey said, but not for the 6.2L. That's what I want for my 6.2L, because engaging the fan manually makes my coolant temps drop when towing large loads. It's just a lot more hassle to get out and pop the spring on the clutch, especially on a hot engine. At least it works.

Casey