PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem- key switch?

Craig M
04-19-2004, 09:26
On our 83 Suburban, wife took it to the bank other day and when she came back out no juice. No clicking, no turning no power to electric windows. Batteries check out allright (two newer Optimas). Only power is headlights and dome light. Was thinking ignition key switch, but the power door locks are not working, they normally work without the key in the ignition. Any thoughts?

britannic
04-19-2004, 09:54
Fuses?

86burb
04-19-2004, 22:12
Check the passenger side battery connections. Today after removing the starter from my truck (broken ground strap from solenoid to motor) it began to rain, so I reconnected the drivers side battery to roll up the windows. I noticed that I had no power to any accessories except the dome lights and headlights. With everything reconnected all was back to normal. Just a thought.

Craig M
04-22-2004, 06:04
Batteries good, fuses are all ok, cleaned/checked battery connections, still no electical to starter system and most interior electrcal circuits. Only functioning electrical is dome light and headlights. ???

britannic
04-22-2004, 06:28
Are you using a voltage/ohm meter to check the connections?

Craig M
04-22-2004, 07:16
No, just cleaned them and reinstalled them.

britannic
04-22-2004, 08:09
Recommend you use a meter to physically check what's going on - I've found "clean" connections in the past that refused to conduct properly. Grounds can be a major cause of electrical problems in older vehicles, so do check their resistance and continuity.

Use a meter and start at the battery positive terminal and work you way through the circuits until you get back to the negative battery terminal.

mirage
04-23-2004, 10:47
I've had my positive battery cable from the passenger side of the truck melt then short and break on an exhaust pipe...have you traced your positive battery cables to their destinations?

Craig M
04-26-2004, 06:52
Am not real great with electrical problems. Checked condition of main battery hot and ground wires visually. All looked ok. Ground would appear to be ok cause headlights and dome lights (and brake controller) are working. still no power to starter, dashboard, electric windows or electric door locks.

britannic
04-26-2004, 06:59
Visual checking isn't the way to go, you must use a volt meter or ohm meter. If you have neither, the next best thing is a 12V bulb with holder to check continuity - however, apart from how bright it looks on each test you make, it's not the preferred way to check.