PDA

View Full Version : Temperature gauge on 700r4?

Ratau
04-21-2004, 22:30
Where is the best location to install a temperature pick-up on the 700r4 transmission.

If one put it in-line to the cooler which line is exit and return?

What is the ideal working temperature for these transmissions?

Danie

CleviteKid
04-22-2004, 06:05
There is no one "BEST" place to put your tranny temperature sensor. The best idea I have seen is Tanker's use of two gauges, one for ATF coming out of the transmission to the cooler(s), and one for cooled fluid coming back to the transmission. This allows him to evaluate the cooling as well as the transmission.

A number of users like to put the probe in the transmission pan, where the hottest oil collects before being picked up by the pump to send to the cooler and back to the transmission.

I put my probe in the high pressure test port above the shift arm coming out of the driver's side of the tranny. This is just after the high pressure pump, on the way to the coolers.

If you are running between 180F and 200F when working hard, your transmission and cooling are doing the job. You will get some other opinions on the optimum temperature, and some suggestions that synthetic ATF is the cure-all for the 700R4. I am using synthetic ATF, not because it is a miracle, but because I have concluded it is better and adds an extra margin of safety.

Check out the 700R4 articles now running on TheDieselPage.com.

Dr. Lee :cool: