PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Swap

Theron
07-29-2005, 16:41
I have an '84 2wd chevy pickup with a 6.2L diesel. I would like to rebuild a 6.2, but with a little more oomph. I would also like to replace the existing manual tranny that is in it with an NV 4500. I am a little confused if this swap is possible. I don't see what would be so difficult, but most tranny shops look at me as if it is impossible. Any info or websites that may help me is greatly appreciated.

More Power
07-30-2005, 15:11
See the recent Pull-Off (http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff05.htm) for a photo and description about a 1984 Chevy 6.2L diesel pickup with an NV4500 tranny.

Jim

rwpierce
07-31-2005, 19:45
I have a '84 K10 swb that I put a NV4500 in. I got a bellhousing from Advance Adapters that will cost around $220.I used a '95 NV4500 new from GM $1750, that had 5.45:1 low gear. eariler units had 6.35 low. Also the transmissions used in the diesel applications had a vibration dampner on the output shaft. You can use a NV4500 from a Dodge that has a 1/2" longer input shaft,use your stock bellhousing with an adapter plate you also get from Advance Adapters.You can see my truck in Reader's Rigs.

84 C2B2
08-01-2005, 11:22
Theron,

I did a swap on an 84. I'm the one in the pull-off. This is what I did; I purchased a 1998 NV4500 w/bellhousing. I had a donor truck for a flywheel off an 84 6.2L. I needed to purchase the clutch/brake pedal linkage since I wanted to go hydraulic. I needed a master cylinder for a 85-91 chevy, line to slave cylinder off same year, line for a 98 internal slave cylinder, clutch from LUK clutch with internal slave cylinder, and new 4WD chevy output housing, and cross member bracket. Prices are; tranny $1500(too much), clutch package $300, clutch/pedal assy $100, output housing $125, shifter(all parts) $125, oil $85, hydraulic lines $100.

I did this tranny install with a body off conversion. I needed to move the shifter access hole rearward about 4-5". I do have my own mig welder so this was no problem.

What I would do differently since it's finished.

1. I would have called some major auto wreckers that specialize in trucks and bought a tranny, bellhousing, shifter assy(with boot, metal brackets) as a complete package. I would have stayed with the 1996-2000 chevy 1 ton since I wanted internal slave cylinder. (easier on routing exhaust and future projects) Possibly same wrecking yard would have pedal assy from a 85-87 P/U. Buy new clutch assy from a LUK distributor and specify 6.2 diesel with NV4500. They did come that way in 92-93. Possbily with the tranny you would get a section of the quick dis-connect for the internal slave cylinder. A reputable hose shop could connect the special fitting to the master cylinder on the firewall. They could also supply you with the cross member mounting bracket and bolts. The cross member stays where it is but the bolt holes might need re-drilling.

I'm pretty happy with the tranny but I believe I could have come out of the deal a lot cheaper if I would have shopped around. Drop me a line if you want more info at ggiedeman@yahoo.com
Jerry

Theron
08-01-2005, 18:18
Thank you fellows for your information. I am well on my way to getting this thing put together so I can join in on all the fun activities that you take part in.

P.S. any more info is certainly welcome