PDA

View Full Version : engine miss?

solongpowerstroke
11-19-2002, 18:54
Looks like I finally got this password thing figured out seeing that I am able to post a new topic now. This is my first so bear with me. Okay, I have a 01 crewcab DMax with sixty thousand miles on it. Lately, I have noticed something that feels almost like an ignition miss on a gas engine. It is noticed when I accelerate while traveling down the highway, and is easily detected with the cruise set(I had the trans shift update done)because the truck wont downshift under acceleration. Also, I am noticing a fair amount of smoke at startup, and judging by previous posts, this may not be normal. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Kennedy
11-19-2002, 19:01
How long since the fuel filter has been changed???

solongpowerstroke
11-19-2002, 19:18
I changed the fuel filter about five thousand miles ago. Didn`t notice anything unusual when I pulled the old one off.

BigLakeDMAX
11-19-2002, 20:01
Sounds alot like what I experienced when the injection pump failed on my 97 6.6l. It started with the "miss" you're noticing, and was most noticable under a hard acceleration, but was also noticable under any acceleration at highway speeds. There was also a loss of power when this happened - minor at first, then worsened. Happened at about 80k. Replaced under the 100k warranty and all was well through 140k when I sold it 6 weeks ago.

solongpowerstroke
11-19-2002, 20:11
BigLakeDMAX, with your post in mind, are there many documented cases of pump failure that you or anyone else is aware of on the DMAX? If so, how would I go about getting it taken care of. My local dealer wasn`t very excited the last time I took my truck in and told them I needed the trans update and lopey idle taken care of, even though it cost ME $72 to have the updates done. Apparently, they don`t appreciate the vast amount of information and knowledge that this page obviously provides. That is too bad.

BigLakeDMAX
11-20-2002, 08:04
If you search this sight you will find some reports of pump failure - searching for "pump failure" returns several threads. My 02 only smokes on startup when its cold (at or below freezing) and then only for the first 30 seconds or so. I don't think what you're experiencing is normal, as this engine is a very smooth runner for me, and your dealer should check into this "miss." This engine certainly has had its share of problems, especially related to injectors and engine management issues, so they shouldn't dismiss your complaint easily. As an option, you may want to locate a Chev truck service center in your area as their mechanics will likely work on more diesels than other dealers.

Good Luck!

Black Dog
11-20-2002, 08:58
I recall several instances of pumps being replaced because of a faulty fuel pressure regulator causing an idle surge. I will be taking my truck in for this idle problem soon, but it still runs fine at anything but idle. I don't recall any pump problems with symptoms like yours. Not saying it isn't the pump, but it doesn't seem to be a common problem. Could also be an injector problem.

Runaway
11-20-2002, 15:20
Which dealer in GB are you dealing with?