PDA

View Full Version : Got smoked out by another Chevy!

dieselbegreat
04-28-2004, 13:15
I was at the I-380/I-81 split south of Scranton PA when this monster Chevy truck from nowhere cuts into my lane about 3 carlengths ahead of me, blasts out of his twin chrome smoke stacks a huge cloud of the thickest black smoke I've ever seen right in my face at about 65 mph. Couldn't see a thing for about 5 seconds. :eek: By the time the smoke cleared he had cut across the split again! and was headed away from me up and over the highway. I certainly didn't do anything to provoke that and I was very impressed at the amount of soot he was able to put out at will! (Although he will give diesels a bad name.) Maybe I should change my signature. Anybody here ever have that happen to them?

Polar Diesel
04-28-2004, 13:39
what body style?

dieselbegreat
04-29-2004, 13:58
newer pickup, short bed I think.

C.K. Piquup
05-01-2004, 04:58
I`m proud of my smoke,too,when I know another GM diesel is watching.I don`t go out of my way,nor do I intend to intimidate or be boasty.Boosty maybe?It`s more to give them pride in the GM diesel and ponder the possibilities.It takes more than black smoke,though.Like the 4door econobox w/coffee can exhaust tip making noise and going nowhere.Seeing the truck move-out in front of the smoke is the best effect.Especially when it`s obvious it`s no empty,light weight fashion truck,but a heavy laiden work vehicle earning it`s keep.Yes,I am proud of my boy.

dieselbegreat
05-01-2004, 17:32
Yes, I acknowledge that and after the immediate panic was over I remember laughing and thinking, "Wow, that's pretty cool" as he accelerated away from me at really high speed WITH NO SMOKE! That dude was flying.

slagona
05-04-2004, 10:46
This brings back fond memories of my '87 Crew Cab with a 320 HP Peninsular Diesel replacing the 6.2 NA. I bought the engine used, it had 90 hours of service on a swamp boat with a HUGE intercooler sitting behind the prop. The boat builders turned the pumps up a notch because of the size of the intercoolers. I was running without an intercooler (so I wasn't near the 320 HP capability of the engine), and I had left the pump setting where it was.

I could lay out a cloud of smoke like you've never seen - at any speed - at any time. :eek:

My favorite was to pass the luxury convertibles in the posh section of town and let them know I was there........ :D

Polar Diesel
05-04-2004, 18:13
I prefer trucks that haul ass with a very slight hint of smoke. I think this indicates a very well built or designed engine. The best part is seeing that huge cloud at low rrr's and watching it dissapere as boost comes up and hearing the turbo sing. that's sweet.!

C.K. Piquup
05-08-2004, 04:42
That`s pretty much what the peninsuler does.It blows coals`til spool-up.I bought a turn-down tip out of consideration(I have a little),but the slash-cut doesn`t want to come off.Now that it`s warm out,I expect a few more nasty looks.Also,I want to get more air to it.I have the round filter box to install but I want to make a smooth elbow.I also have plans to bring air in directly through the fender using a KW T300 intake grill.Unlike most guys here,I haven`t removed the snorkle.Although the snorkel is restrictive by design,it is cooler air that is forced with nowhere to go but through the air-box,which with increased boost will draw hard enough to get the air it needs.I don`t doubt a relatively stock truck will feel an increase in power by removing the snorkle(less in summer).But,I feel the way to go is straight through fender(like aerodynamic big-rigs.