PDA

View Full Version : loose steering column

Craig M
08-19-2005, 11:23
Looked at a 82 K5 Blazer at a local auction today. Has 6.2 and 700R4 but steering column has about 1 inch of slop in either direction. Is this repairable? or new column required. Rest of vehicle in fair condition.

john8662
08-19-2005, 11:52
It's probably not the steering column, it's most likely in the tie rod ends, ball joints, etc. or the steering gear box. It's repairable, question is, how much? Blazers are getting hard to find with the 6.2 in them, I still want one (always have but never found one I wanted though).

Craig M
08-19-2005, 15:08
Yes I am sure it is internal to the column. I have been in sloppy ones before, one of my Suburbans is a little sloppy, but nowhere near the sloppynice (sp) of this one. I also like the idea of 6.2 K5 Blazer. This one is not my ideal one, not rusty but not in great condition either. If it goes cheap enough though, I might not be able to resist.

jcomp
08-19-2005, 16:10
I've been told by a reputable source that there are some torx screws in the column that can work themselves loose over time, causing slop in the column.

My column is also loose but when I checked these screws it was not the cause. The problem with mine is in the tilt assembly from years of people using the wheel to pull themselves up into the lifted truck.

I'd plan on a new column and hope to be pleasantly surprised if tightening the screws fixes it.

Or just live with it like I do. :D

NH2112
08-19-2005, 16:47
The biggest problem with loose tilt columns is that they can get sloppy enough to cut power through the ignition switch if moved in just the right way. I had it happen to me in the middle of a turn once and was lucky not to get slammed by the guy behind me. I did tighten up the 4 Torx screws afterward (even used Loctite 242) but within a couple months they were loose again. I just put a standard column in, which I like better anyway since I like the wheel all the way up.

BobND
08-19-2005, 16:53
NH,

I wonder why your's came loose, again after you tightened it up? I have snugged up quite a number of them over the years, and I can't ever recall one coming loose again.

It's a tedious job to get far enough down there into the column to get at the 4 bolts, but really not all that difficult.

ZZ
08-21-2005, 11:21
I had this problem on my '90 last summer. The upper part of the tilt column flopped around inside the bottom. My mechanic said the GM's are bad about this. He said that pulling on the wheel as you get in the truck is the usual cause.

He tore into mine and tightened the bolts for $35. He used blue Locktite on them.