PDA

View Full Version : loss of power when hot, rough idle

jonflies
09-01-2005, 11:31
My previous post "unable to set timing" was back in February. Advancing the timing after a rebuilt IP, timing set, etc, fixed the problem then.

Some weeks ago, I decided to replumb the fuel inlet lines back to the intent of the factory. (When I purchased the truck I thought I was doing myself a favor by moving both filters to the firewall. At that time a moved fuel lines and had both filters downstream of the pump, instead of the primary being upstream and the secondary being downstream.) The truck was running fine, but I was afraid that I was not receiving the designed water-removing efficiency from the primary by pushing fuel through it, instead of pulling fuel through it.

I moved the primary to the frame rail, near a section of rubber hose in the line (I think this might have been a factory "splice" point, in case the truck was meant to have saddle tanks. There is one large area on each side of the truck, which looks to be just large enough for the saddle tanks.) I left the secondary on the firewall.
The truck ran fine around town but stalled on trips longer than 20-miles. I had to let it cool down a bit, it would crank right up and I could drive ten more miles and repeat the process. (you should have seen my wife's face)

I read plenty of posts and have done the following; 1)added another lift pump in series, closer to the primary, thinking there was too much distance between the filter and the pump. 2) Changed both filters again, just in case. I could not see any noticable gunk in the old filters. 3) Put a clear plastic line on the return of the pump. NO bubbles, but I did notice that the fuel gets sucked back into the pump after shutdown. 4.) changed portions of the rubber fuel hose with special Gates-injection-hose-for-diesel-service type. Also changed a few fittings just in case they were worn and allowing air into the system.

The truck would start and then would barely idle. I could have my foot to the floor, but it would be only a few hundred RPM above idle, then eventually stall. I repeated this process several times.

Today I started it cold, ran it for five minutes, got it to idle, then bled the injectors. I couldn't find one that made a big difference. I drove it down the street but it wouldn't get out if its own way.

Read more posts and tried the clear tubing. When I pulled the original tubing off, I noticed a sucking sound, which probably corresponds to the sight of the fuel going back to the IP after shutdown, or the money flowing from my wallet to this piece of junk.

It started right up and idled halfway decent, but would not give power. Had noticeable white smoke too.

john8662
09-01-2005, 14:23
My 82 pickup has the same fuel system that your truck does in that is has both the primary and secondary screw on fuel filters.

The routing is as follows:

1. Tank to Primary Fuel Filter
2. Primary Fuel filter down to lift pump (through metal tubing in the valley of the engine)
3. Lift pump to the secondary fuel filter (also through tubing that includes fuel heater).
4. Secondary fuel filter to Injection Pump

I don't see any problem with mounting the primary fuel filter upstream of the whole system right out of the tank. Heck, the 83 van I'm driving is setup in that exact way, fuel filter under the vehicle, and a secondary filter on the engine.

The problem is likely related to the fuel draining back out of the injection pump. So, you either have an air leak (seems there is no end) or a bad fuel cap that isn't letting air into the tank and is forming a vacuum that pulls the fuel back into the tank.

A couple of things come to mind to elminate or troubleshoot the problems. For the air leak test, you might take and gut and old fuel cap and install a tubeless valve stem in it. You can use this to pressurize the fuel tank to about 5psi and look for leaks, thats where the air would have been leaking in. For the bad fuel cap problem, just leave the cap out and stuff a rag loosely into the filler neck and go for a drive.

Oh, and check your fuel return system for any pinched lines as well and make sure it takes fuel into the fuel tank from the system.