PDA

View Full Version : Waste oil burning

Favre Fan
09-02-2005, 05:18
With all of the increases in oil and gas prices I was wondering if any of you had heard of anyone burning waste oil in their trucks. My uncle has a 6.5L Hummer that he runs strait waste Dexron with a some type of Stanadyne additive. He just bought the Hummer 6 months ago and reports no ill effects. He also has a customer with a 6.0L Powerstroke who does the same with no reported ill effects. My uncle owns the Jiffy Lube in Canyon City, CO and has access to all of the waste Dexron a man could want. He says just filter it before you put it into your tank and you are so money you don't even know. What do you think? Any words of advice or horror stories?

NH2112
09-02-2005, 16:45
I've burned waste engine oil before, and didn't notice any loss of power but did notice that it took longer to start. I was generally dumping in 5 gallons per tankful (20 gallon tank), which may have been a larger amount than was good. My secondary fuel filter is a 2-micron unit so I'm pretty sure I was getting all the minute particles out of the waste oil. I'd be wary of using waste oil that didn't come from my truck, simply because you never know what kinds of additives people put in or what effect they'll have on your fuel system.

Favre Fan
09-07-2005, 06:05
Asked my uncle more about his setup...he only burns auto trans fluid. The way he obtains the waste oil is through auto trans flush machines that they employ at the Jiffy Lube. He has basically 4 filters that the fluid is run through. 1 - the auto trans filter. 2 - the filter on the auto trans flush machine. 3 - he has rigged up a Duramax inline fuel filter onto the pump hose while the waste oil is making its way into his fuel tank. 4 - the fuel filter/water separator on his Hummer. He also adds a Stanadyne additive that aids in accumulating the water in the waste oil as well as effectively increasing its octane level(not sure if that is the correct term). He says he spoke directly to a Stanadyne rep who told him this additive is designed for this purpose. They also have additives that allow diesel owners to burn anything from household heating oil to JP8(jet fuel). I am emailing Stanadyne and I will report back.

wthif
09-07-2005, 09:25
trans fluid is red
un-taxed diesel fuel is red
don't get caught burning it

also I would as Dr. Lee about the lubricating properties of trans fluid and how it might come into play with the IP.

NH2112
09-07-2005, 15:12
The colors are the same but the smell will tell any DOT cop that you're not a tax evader.

More Power
09-07-2005, 20:24
I read about an oil filter assy a few years ago that is used mainly by over the road trucks. It uses oil pressure to spin an internal drum within the assembly. This effectively makes the oil filter assy a centrifuge than can capture soot particles found in motor oil drained from a diesel engine (as well as any other particles) better than conventional 2-micron fuel filter element.

If I were contemplating re-using motor oil or ATF, I'd get one of these to clean the used fluids. The beauty here is that there is no element to replace. Simply disassemble the filter assy periodically, and scrape the crud off.

Wish I could remember the brand....

Jim

britannic
09-07-2005, 20:34
We were pulled over at a CA DOT red diesel checkpoint and I asked the officials about red ATF or other red additives in the fuel - they said don't, as they are looking for color and not smell - could be costly to prove later, even if you're in the right.

However, they did say, that the ATF/supplemental oils could be added into the fuel system after the fuel tank and that would avoid any issues (no red dyed products in the fuel tank for them to find).

Originally posted by NH2112:
The colors are the same but the smell will tell any DOT cop that you're not a tax evader.

Favre Fan
09-08-2005, 08:44
This may settle the question. I received a reply from Stanadyne. I guess I better tell my uncle to stop what he is doing before he breaks something. Below is the questions I sent Stanadyne and then the reply they sent back:

"Hello my name is Chris Mortensen. I am the proud owner of a 1985 Chevy CUCV with a 6.2L diesel. I am curious about your additives. I have an uncle with a Hummer with the 6.5L and he burns waste auto trans fluid with the aid of one of your additives. I certainly like the idea of fueling my truck on the cheap but I don

4.3dieseljeep
09-29-2005, 17:21
I have run about 600 gallons of ATF in 2 different 6.2 engines I have. I have one low comp engine that started better on atf in the cold than it did on diesel. The only problem I have found is the ATF butns the tips of the glow plugs off. It did it in bolth engines. I

CareyWeber
09-29-2005, 19:02
Originally posted by More Power:
I read about an oil filter assy a few years ago that is used mainly by over the road trucks. It uses oil pressure to spin an internal drum within the assembly. This effectively makes the oil filter assy a centrifuge than can capture soot particles found in motor oil drained from a diesel engine (as well as any other particles) better than conventional 2-micron fuel filter element.

If I were contemplating re-using motor oil or ATF, I'd get one of these to clean the used fluids. The beauty here is that there is no element to replace. Simply disassemble the filter assy periodically, and scrape the crud off.

Wish I could remember the brand....

Jim This is the one I know of.

http://www.spinnerii.com/index.cfm

Carey

More Power
10-03-2005, 12:22
Thanks Carey. smile.gif

4.3dieseljeep, 600 gallons!.... How do you start your 6.2 without glow plugs? At what concentration did you run the ATF? Were there any changes in EGT? Burning off glow plug tips would be a good reason to be extra careful...

Christer Lindstrom (BETA FSD Cooler manufacturer) told me once that 6.2/6.5 owners in Sweden regularly add a quart of motor oil to every tank of fuel due to the low lubricity of their fuel. He went on to say that on teardown of high mileage engines, there was no unusual buildup of carbon residue on the pistons or other areas of the combustion chambers.

Jim

4.3dieseljeep
10-03-2005, 17:37
Most of the time I didn't cut it. Block heater and starting fluid.

rke1
10-04-2005, 15:41
It is my understanding that the roadside tests of diesel fuel were/are conducted by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) under a grant program. Explaining away the red color of fuel by stating that it was waste oil or Dextron would probably cause severe respiratory distress to the inspector and likely quality time with your lawyer.

Ratau
10-06-2005, 05:25
Did anyone on this forum ever mixed diesel with used diesel oil to a 10% or 20% ratio and left it on the shelf for a week or two to see if the black goo separate to the bottom?

If so one could use diesel to actually wash the used oil with diesel and let the black sediment sag to the bottom siphon it and use the oil that's mixed with the diesel.

One more option is to put the mix into a centrifugal machine and spin the sediment out.