PDA

View Full Version : Remote trans filter

mhagie
07-17-2003, 10:15
Does anyone have any comments on the use of a remote auto trans filter? Good,Bad,or otherwise?

NH2112
07-17-2003, 11:23
I bought one for my truck back when I had an automatic in it (never installed it) and nowhere in the instructions did it say whether or not you had to use the factory filter as well. Since I had a deep tranny pan with drain plug, I would have had no reason to drop it to change the filter if I'd installed the remote filter. I do like the idea, though, and if I can find out about using the original filter I'm going to put one in my next automatic rig (coming soon.)

Eric Deslauriers
07-17-2003, 12:41
I have one on my motorhome. Personally, I like the idea of a spin-on filter.

If it doesn't replace the internal filter with some adapter, then it's prolly not worth your time. I don't know if mine does (it came pre-installed). I'll be finding out this or next weekend.

DO NOT leave your filter out. It's the fastest way to an engine fire. DAMHIKT - but I wasn't the moron who did it.

mhagie
07-17-2003, 16:10
As for leaving out the internal filter, I doubt if that is an option as the filter has the extension built in that engages the oil pump inlet, leave filter out, no oil.
However one could strip filter media from the filter housing and let it serve as inlet to pump only.
This leaves only one question, what is the micron required for a tranny filter and can the remote fit that requirement?,
On paper this is a good combo, I have deep sump pan w/drain plug,that would mean all one has to do is pull drain plug, screw on new filter,add fluid and your good to go.
Thats too easy there has to be a catch here. :D

CleviteKid
07-17-2003, 17:33
I have had an external trans filter for several years, since before 1999 ( ?? ) and I think it is a good idea. I have the deep B&M pan with drain plug, and change the oil and EXTERNAL filter once per year. Every FOUR years I drop the pan and change the internal filter. I believe that the external filter is a finer media than the internal one, so the internal one will not clog up. But I don't think the media will last indefinitely.

Also, the internal filter IS the pickup for the oil pump in the tranny, and wear debris from clutches and bands is constantly falling into the pan. I think the internal filter should stay in place to help prevent the bigger chunks from going thru the vane pump etc. on its way to the cooler and external filter.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Dieselboy
07-17-2003, 20:19
I installed my remote spin on filter, and I really do like it. I change the spin on every third engine oil change, and the filter in the pan every 30,000. Like Dr. Lee said, it's a good way to filter the finer particles, and it's one of the lower cost upgrades out there.

Eric Deslauriers
07-18-2003, 06:07
Originally posted by mhagie:
As for leaving out the internal filter, I doubt if that is an option as the filter has the extension built in that engages the oil pump inlet, leave filter out, no oil.
Actually, you'll drive down the road fine, but trans fluid will spew out your dipstick tube at a horrendous rate. If it's at night and your wife is following you and calls you on her cell to tell you that your truck is smoking like a steam locomotive, you manage to abort a MAJOR engine fire (in retrospect, I contend I should have let it burn to the ground). I don't think there was a spot under the hood that didn't have ATF on it. Maybe the bottom of the driver's side battery tray.

I was SOOOO PO'd with the tranny shop. It was a brand new freakin' trans and they left the fawkin filter out. I'd managed to dump most of the ATF and burn up the clutches. And so began a veritable saga that I won't bore you with. Let's just leave it as "they tried to fix it in the truck about a million times" and it took almost 3 years to get it right.

The first tip was when I stopped for gas 1 mile from the shop and it spewed onto the ground. "Oh, that's normal, just air in the trans."

I've learned a lot since then, and spent a lot doing it. :mad:

Dieselboy
07-18-2003, 14:54
Without going into any detail about my transmission experience(s), I'll just say that I understand.

Eric Deslauriers
07-18-2003, 16:55
Yeah, sorry I wasn't around to warn you off the Raptors. Lots of the 4x4 guys blew those up and fast. Amazed they're still around, actually.

Art Carr, Bowtie OD, Jet, Hughes - those are all very good trannies. From now on, I install the trannies myself.

Jet's been quite good to me. I've bought 2 for 2 different trucks (one in my Blazer) and I'm real pleased with their service and their products.

David Kruger
07-22-2003, 16:39
An external transmission filter sounds like e agreat idea. Where would us newbie's get ours? Would like to go to new amsiol dual engine filters too, but must replace engine first. 290K on my old 85 burban engine. Can I get some help?

Eric Deslauriers
07-22-2003, 16:47
David,

You could try running it without oil. That should allow you to replace the engine.

Oh, not that kind of help? ;)

Dieselboy
07-22-2003, 21:25
B&M makes a good kit. It comes with the filter bracket, some hardware, a few barb fittings, some hose, and a super cheap filter. I mounted mine on the framerail, and ran 300 psi rubber lines to it, then hard lines to the cooler. After throwing the cheapo filter as far as I could, I put on a UPF20.

Edit: spelling

[ 07-28-2003, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Dieselboy ]

Dieselboy
08-07-2003, 11:53
Here's the B&M kit on my '85.
http://www.oliverdiesel.com/images/trans/exttransfilter.jpg

ZZ
05-12-2005, 07:37
Pro Street Online has these kits for $39.95

http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/b&m_remote_transmission_filter_kit/

I'm going to get one for my crippled up 700R4.

Is some filters better than others on filtration? I'd like to get the most filtration.

opto
05-23-2005, 13:56
Will the external filter be better of on the incoming or outgoing line?

jcomp
05-23-2005, 19:06
I use the permacool kit with the temp sensor on my K5. It uses a ford oil filter, so I use the 1.5 quart version for greater system capacity.

I replace the trans filter every 6 months when I do my fuel filters.

ZZ
05-31-2005, 20:07
I installed my filter kit Monday. I mounted mine behind the passenger side battery next to the breather muffler on the fender well. I wish I could've done mine like Dieselboy, but I'm not able to work under them anymore.

ZZ
05-31-2005, 21:29
Originally posted by jcomp:
I use the permacool kit with the temp sensor on my K5. It uses a ford oil filter, so I use the 1.5 quart version for greater system capacity.

I replace the trans filter every 6 months when I do my fuel filters. What is the part number of the 1.5 Ford oil filter that you use

mhagie
06-01-2005, 14:57
My remote uses the Ford PH8A style filter,But since I care deeply for this truck it will never see a Fram Filter,Wix yes :D Fram NO : :mad:
Merle

jcomp
06-01-2005, 16:27
Originally posted by ZZ:
What is the part number of the 1.5 Ford oil filter that you use Purolator #L40017

Here's a pic:
http://jcomp.home.bresnan.net/trannyfilter.jpg

ZZ
06-01-2005, 20:33
Thanks, I was waiting on that number. DP is worth its weight in gold again.

opto
06-02-2005, 02:02
Put my filter in the framerail aswell, on the reurn from the coolers. I also put an additional tempsender before entering the transmission again. Now I have a swith to decide if I want to monitor the hot or the cooled oil on the meter. I use a Mahle filter. With the new tranny I had to put in just about four gallons ATF to be right on the stick.....

Brook Green
06-02-2005, 22:57
I have been running the permacool filter housing/temp sender from summit racing for several years now. I dont have that many miles on the tranny since then, but I probably abuse my tranny as much as anyone on here and its still going strong. (common to see 260* or more, run it low on fluid, run it with water in the fluid, lots of dust, mud, and dirt, 500 lbs of torque or more, too high of gearing, neutral to drive under power, etc)

If your a glutton for punishment, I'd suggest installing it with S.S. 3/8" tubing rather than rubber lines. (Better heat, and abrasion protection)

Here is a couple pics of the install.
http://www.akfabshop.com/images/freak/plumbing/plumbing_050a.jpg

http://www.akfabshop.com/images/freak/plumbing/plumbing_003a.jpg

Im not 100% sure, but I believe the fittings on the th-350 are the same as the th-400 are the same. According to B&M's website they are NPT, but that is incorrect. They are Straight pipe. I had to use 1/2" NPT fittings and machine them down to 3/8 Straight Pipe, then I bent some pieces of 3/8 tubing and welded some AN fittings to the end so I could use some Russel Stainless braided hose to connect between the tranny and the rest of the hard line.

CareyWeber
06-05-2005, 11:26
Originally posted by Brook Green:
I have been running the permacool filter housing/temp sender from summit racing for several years now. I dont have that many miles on the tranny since then, but I probably abuse my tranny as much as anyone on here and its still going strong. (common to see 260* or more, run it low on fluid, run it with water in the fluid, lots of dust, mud, and dirt, 500 lbs of torque or more, too high of gearing, neutral to drive under power, etc)

If your a glutton for punishment, I'd suggest installing it with S.S. 3/8" tubing rather than rubber lines. (Better heat, and abrasion protection)

Here is a couple pics of the install.
http://www.akfabshop.com/images/freak/plumbing/plumbing_050a.jpg

http://www.akfabshop.com/images/freak/plumbing/plumbing_003a.jpg

Im not 100% sure, but I believe the fittings on the th-350 are the same as the th-400 are the same. According to B&M's website they are NPT, but that is incorrect. They are Straight pipe. I had to use 1/2" NPT fittings and machine them down to 3/8 Straight Pipe, then I bent some pieces of 3/8 tubing and welded some AN fittings to the end so I could use some Russel Stainless braided hose to connect between the tranny and the rest of the hard line. Brook,

Come on Brook can't there be one board where your fab skills don't show me up. tongue.gif ;) :D

ps glad to have you here

Carey