PDA

View Full Version : No Start, No Elec, No Noth'n

EscaladeDiesel
07-26-2003, 09:11
Hello All,

I went to start one of my 83 K2500 4x4 Suburban's two days ago, only to find the batteries were dead. I tried to jump it, had power to all electrical items and the glowplug relay, BUT nothing from the starter. Below is the series of events and other items you might find helpful to know.

1. Starter would not turn over (no clicking sounds heard)
2. Power received to the rest of vehicle
3. Tried to jump, but still nothing going to starter
4. Noticed that it didn't seem like the truck was getting the full benefit of being jumped
5. Volt meter seemed lower then usual when I had had to jump before
6. Had both batteries check and both bad, replaced with Sears Diehard Gold batteries.
7. Installed both batteries the next morning
8. Replaced all battery connections
9. Vehicle has NO power to ANYTHING
10. Even when trying to jump both batteries from another diesel no elec. power

I do have a Delta aftermarket alarm, have never had any previous problem with it, and I have changed the batteries many times. Also, I believe that the alarm will keep power from the starter, but I have no power to anything.

Anyone have a clue what this could be or what else to check for or any info on disarming an alarm system if that what it is?

Thanks, Chris

catmandoo
07-26-2003, 19:34
my guess would be the fusible links down by the starter kind of a typical problem

Eric Deslauriers
07-26-2003, 21:55
Yep, agree - somehow you probably melted the fusible links on the starter. Easy to test. Feel each wire coming off the starter. The ones that don't have any copper in them are the ones that melted.

BE SURE to use fusible links when you replace them.

Make sure your batteries went in properly (red to positive, etc).

catmandoo
07-27-2003, 07:59
what i used to do on my oldsmobile 5.7 diesels when a fusible link burnt was i would pull those wires up top and bolt right to the battery they had a stupid but necessary bracket on the side of the starter that if you didn't watch exactly where the wires were routed when you put the bracket back on you would pinch the wires and first time you tried to start it you would hear a pop and blow the link you just replaced.

EscaladeDiesel
07-28-2003, 20:46
There is no fusible link on the wire going to the starter so it must have been replaced at some point. What should I look for now? Any other ideas?

Thanks

ropinfool
07-29-2003, 18:19
I have an 83 K-20 pickup. I had the same problem twice. The first was due to the main cable to the starter was loose on the solenoid. The second, and I feel this could be it, was a bad ignition switch. I could play the radio, roll the windows down(power), turn the lights on, anything but turn the engine over. Took about 1.5 hrs to replace, part was about $15. Another possible item is the neutral safety switch. Good luck. John

Subzilla
07-31-2003, 15:13
Ealier this year, I had the electrical gremlin visit my '83. No dead batteries as in your case but no power to anything and some electrical burning smell when it died. After hours of searching it turned out to be a broken fusible link coming off the "hot" lug mounted on the firewall. Replaced it and everything has been back to normal.

cordell
08-02-2003, 22:51
you could try the nuetral start switch,i've had them do that before,the selenoid on the starter could do it as well.(just somethin to check)

GregCrabb
08-04-2003, 04:07
My '86 Silverado did it just 2 days ago....no power to anything....turns out it was a loose battery cable on the passenger side positive. :rolleyes:

rthomse
08-11-2003, 10:27
Had the same problem.Seems that when I had a new starter put in one cable was a little loose.It got corroded and cooked the solinoid.Also check the grounding strap on passinger side block at the fire wall.Hope this helps

EscaladeDiesel
01-13-2004, 20:10
Just now gett'n to the 'Burb again. I found the no elec. prob. was the ground at the firewall. The starter STILL will not turn over/engage. The batteries are fresh and it is getting power, but when the key is turned nothing, and there is no drain. I replaced the ignition switch, still nothing. I have removed the starter and had it tested. The tester made it spin, but the bushings sound weak/bad. Can the weak bushing make the starter not engage when installed? Do I need a new starter or do I need to keep looking for something else? Not sure how to test the neutral switch.

EscaladeDiesel
01-14-2004, 16:45
Update: Not sure how it effects the ignition switch, but when I loosened the screws that attach the turn signal mechanism to the steering column, and turned the ignition switch, it started right up! Go figure.