PDA

View Full Version : torque values

ropinfool
07-27-2003, 09:51
Can anyone give me the torque values for the rear main brg cap bolts, the oil pump bolt and oil pan bolts. I haven't found my manual since I moved and I pulled my pan this am to replace my rear main seal. I broke a socket and extension trying to loosen the main cap bolts so off to sears as soon as they open to get the right tool for the job. (I was using a 3/8 drive, going to try 1/2). Thanks in advance. John

NH2112
07-27-2003, 18:58
My Haynes diesel manual says 110lb-ft for the inner main bearing cap bolts and 100lb-ft for the outers, oil-pump-to-bearing-caps @ 65lb-ft, oil pump drive clamp bolt @ 31lb-ft, and 84lb-in for all oil pan bolts except the rear 2 - they get 17lb-ft.

I can't believe you broke Craftsman 3/8" drive stuff trying to pull main cap bolts! I use my Craftsman 3/8" drive sockets a LOT at work because they're the only standard-length 3/8" drive sockets I have (well, except for a Cornwell 20-26mm set) and they've held up to breaker bars, long flex ratchets, and 1/2" drive to 3/8" drive adapters on impact guns! I sure can't tell a difference in strength between Craftsman sockets & drive tools and Snap-on, Mac, Matco, or Cornwell. My Snap-on 1/2" drive ratchet wasn't any harder to break than my Craftsman 1/2" drive ratchet was (I used a 6' cheater bar and tried to tighten a 1 1/2" bolt with all my body weight.)

Dieselboy
07-28-2003, 13:28
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/torque.htm

These were pretty handy to have on paper out in the garage. :D

ropinfool
07-28-2003, 18:45
I wasn't able to open that link, it wanted a password. I am a member but do not remember any passwords, that's what cookies are for. :D