PDA

View Full Version : Is this an injection pump issue?

Garand Fellow
08-02-2003, 13:01
Still having problems with my Avant 6.2 Here's brief recap:

1. Ordered Avant 6.2. Paid extra to have it run-in and setup.
2. Engine arrived. Had it installed. At same time, had Banks Stinger setup installed.
3. Experienced high EGT's. (+1,200 climbing slight hill, no load).
4. Called Avant. They said to turn fuel down 1/8. Did that. power went down the tubes, while no change in high EGT's.
5. Called Avant. They said to make minor timing adjustment (advance it). Did that. Engine stumbled, no change to EGT.
6. Called local reputable diesel shop. Explained situation. Set up appointment. Wait 2 weeks for service.
7. Drove 32 miles to appointment. Owners says he does not work on 6.2. Drove 32 miles home.
8. Called closest GM dealer who has good 6.2 mechanic. 180 miles distant. Made appointment.
9. Went out to start truck in the morning. Hard start. Clouds of white smoke. (No white smoke the day before.. absolutely no adjustments made to the engine). Runs rough. When fully warm, still slight white smoke, interrupted at times when I kick it just a bit and get clouds of black smoke.
10. Emailed Avant. Waiting for answer.

I'm no mechanic and don't pretend to be. My question is, after spending around $7,000 for the motor, shipping and installation labor, do I have a lemon or are just parts of the motor rotton?

Does this sound like a bad injection pump? Could it be something else? I just had the fuel tanks replaced at a GM garage and have had to drain small amount of water from the filter. No idea of I got a tank of lousy fuel or if the new tanks were contaminated.

Would appreciete thoughts and suggestions.

catmandoo
08-02-2003, 13:22
could it be bad egt gauge,plugged exhaust or where do you have the probe mounted for the egt?while on the subject i always hear of people running 1100 or so egt and 10 or more pounds of boost ,on my 82 3/4 ton sub with banks or my 84 1/2 with banks i have never seen over 800 and boost of maybe 8 at the most and this is pullin some trailers albeit not 10,000lbs but probably 6-7000 lbs do these ever run a boost at say idle or just off idle i'd sure like to turn mine up a little to get rid of my lag off idle. any suggestions or just live with it?

90LX
08-02-2003, 21:59
I'll be following this thread. My 88 Dually 6.2 Banks runs high EGT as well. 1100F at 70 mph on flat road with no trailer. I have a 40' gooseneck for my cars that will weigh about 10,000 pounds. I do not think in it's current state that my truck could even pull the trailer empty at 5800 pounds.

Eric Deslauriers
08-03-2003, 09:39
The Banks manual states, and I quote:
"NOTE: Exhaust gas temperature must not exceed 1100

Garand Fellow
08-03-2003, 10:27
I'm running the Banks "Stinger", which is NOT a turbo.. Just free-flow exhaust and intake. Yep, the Banks manual clearly states that 1,100 is maximum.

On a cool day, flat road, no load, running 65mph.. I typically get EGT between 700 and 900. I cannot run uphill without backing off on throttle.

I'll have the truck at GM dealer tomorrow.. they have best 6.2 mechanic in this area. If he can't get EGT's down, I don't know what my options are. Maybe have to take it back to Avant?

I'm hoping it's just a bad injection pump.. under warranty, so I can live with that.

90LX
08-03-2003, 13:19
Originally posted by Eric Deslauriers:
If the EGT approaches this temperature under heavy, uphill load, the fuel pump capacity adjustment must be reduced."

So, if you're using a Banks gauge and installed it the same location as Banks wanted you to (in the exhaust manifold pre-turbo), then you prolly have a problem, but it may be as simple as too much fuel.
I have an Autometer EGT kit installed in the same location as the original Banks probe. When I got the truck, the banks guage was broke. The Autometer guage kit is very accurate. The truck NEVER smokes which leads me to believe it is not getting too much fuel. It has 106,000 miles on original timing chain. Previous owner actually had timing reterded by 1/16". I now have it advanced 1/8" to compensate for chain stretch. EGT went down about 150F after I did that. I was able to hit 1250 if I got on it. If I maintain 65 mph or more, the EGT stays above 850F on level ground with no trailer. The coolant temp rises from 190 to 230 degrees within 5 miles. New T-stat, new radiater, proper coolant mix. I need to get my EGT under control before I even consider hooking up to my 40' trailer. I have heard that clogged return lines can mimic a retarded timing condition. I'm searching for threads that address that now.

Garand, let us know what you find out at the dealership. I'm curious if an injector pump will cause the problems you are having. I have wondered if that may be a major contributer to the EGT problems I have.

[ 08-03-2003, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: 90LX ]

Garand Fellow
08-03-2003, 18:11
Well, more trouble.

I headed out early this afternoon on the 180 mile trip to the GM dealer where I had an appointment in the morning to have the engine timed and checked.

I was racing along at about 55 mph, being careful to keep EGT's under 900. Slowed down to take a turn and I could hear a God-awful rattling noise. I immediately shut it down and called tow truck to haul it to the nearest diesel shop.

The noise sounds suspiciously like a loose flex-plate.

I've about had it. I drove the old factory 6.2 for close to 250,000 miles. Never left me stranded. The "new" 6.2 has 650 miles on it and this will be 4th trip to shop.

Will post updates when I got 'em.

Eric Deslauriers
08-03-2003, 23:27
You weren't the same fellow who got the flex plate shipped "sorta installed" were you?

Garand Fellow
08-06-2003, 17:58
Yes. That was me. I received the Avant motor with loose flex-plate.

I expect to hear from the shop within the next day or 2 with diagnosis of what's wrong with my $7,000 (cost, plus shipping, plus installation, plus fiddling) rebuilt motor.

If it's anything major, I might just load it on a flatbed and head to Georgia, for "special delivery' to Avant.

shamanie
02-13-2004, 19:43
Originally posted by Garand Fellow:
Yes. That was me. I received the Avant motor with loose flex-plate.

I expect to hear from the shop within the next day or 2 with diagnosis of what's wrong with my $7,000 (cost, plus shipping, plus installation, plus fiddling) rebuilt motor.

If it's anything major, I might just load it on a flatbed and head to Georgia, for "special delivery' to Avant. Was there an update to this thread?

Garand Fellow
02-20-2004, 16:44
Here's the update. The "God-awful" noise turned out to be the alternator which was self-destructing. I had it towed to a decent shop.. as long as they had it, I asked them to figure out my problems. They made several calls to Avant... it turned out that Avant had "assumed" that I was going to turbo the motor and run it at sea level. Fact is, I have no intention of running a turbo and I live at 7,000 feet altitude.

Avany shipped replacement injection pump and the shop installed it.

At that point, Avant errors had cost me about $750. I called Avant.. I said. "I will eat the $750 if you give me an extended warranty on the motor.. in writing. Avant said "Great! We will." Six months later, still nothing in writing.

Now the motor is eating oil at the rate of a quart every 1,000 miles.

Would I buy an Avant motor again. HELL NO!!!