PDA

View Full Version : forgive me, not a diesel question, but......

GregCrabb
08-04-2003, 04:32
You guys have helped me so much with my truck I just have to ask for help on another vehicle I recently acquired....a 92 Cadillac DeVille with 4.9L V8 gasser (if only they came in diesel)
I'm trying to change out the O2 sensor...part of a tune up I'm doing...but it's seized. I got the special socket to get it with, but from the top it's impossible 'cause it's behind the engine, down deep behind everything (not enough room for leverage) and the angle is too much for me to use an extension to clear everything. My universal joint isn't strong enough to handle the torque it's going to take to get that thing out. I crawled under the car, (which is how I changed the rear spark plugs from the bottom) and was able to get a better grip, but pulling with everything I have, it's still not budging (and when you're lying on your back and only weigh 150, it's probably not that much force ;) ) Any suggestions as to how to remove that darn thing???
Thanks

catmandoo
08-04-2003, 07:16
is it possible to get a wrench on it?i know i've had to do that before and then use like a prybar against the wrench ,some of those engineers should be shot for putting stuff you have to change in spots like that ,how do you like your vw been thinking of buying one beings the american companies don't know how to build a diesel car anymore.

NH2112
08-04-2003, 07:46
I'd try heating the thread and bung area good and hot with a torch then putting the socket on it. If that doesn't work, heat again and quench just the sensor with cold water (as best you can) to see if that snaps it free. Also, a can of that compressed air for cleaning cameras, keyboards, etc, sprayed upside down will freeze just about anything, and if you blast the sensor good with it then put the wrench on it I bet it'll come off.

Dieselfume
08-06-2003, 23:40
Soak the thing with PB penatrant or Liquid wrench penetrant. Leave it soak in. Hopefully that will loosen up things for ya. Use some nickel never sieze when putting the new one on.

GregCrabb
08-07-2003, 20:11
the only way I can get a good grip with a wrench is with a crescent wrench from beneath the car...reaching around the exhaust pipe. The special socket fits, but with extensions on it, it is angled too much to get it with my big 1/2 drive ratchet. I'll mess with it later.

Catmandoo....yeah, I love my VW diesel...50 mpg, turbo power, it will climb any hill (or mountain here in TN) in 5th gear with the cruise control set and never even flinch! When this one goes to Beetle heaven, I'll probably buy another one.
:D