PDA

View Full Version : A very strange thing happened the other day...

rumbler1
08-06-2003, 19:20
The 6.2 has been running very well in the 2500 or so miles since the rebuild. For a couple of weeks I've been hearing an unusual noise when cold that stops when the truck comes off fast idle. Thinking it may have something to do with a possible air leak somewhere, I put off searching for it for a little while. The other day while on the road the engine was making it's strange little noise when suddenly the noise stopped, the engine smoothed out, and I could smell fuel, lots of fuel. I got the truck home in a driving rain and parked it. Fuel was leaking like a garden hose from somewhere in the valley. Later inspection showed that on the right side of the new DB2, where the toggle rod is connected, the pin that holds the toggle rod in place had fallen out. That pin is held in place with snap-on "e" clips, but one clip must not have been in the grove made for it in the pin. Anyway, with the toggle rod no longer connected to anything, the valve body at the bottom of the pump was pushed out by fuel pressure, and fuel was being pumped out the resulting 1/4" diameter hole!
It took about 2 hours and a lot of patience to find the errant parts and put everything aright, but when it was all done the engine started right up and promptly purged the air out of the lines. Since that incident the engine now runs smoother than ever even from a cold start.
The last thing I ever would have suspected to look for on a new pump was an "e" clip ready to fall off a hinge pin!

britannic
08-06-2003, 21:44
That sounds like the advance piston was pushed out on the passenger side? They can also be pushed so far into the pump, that the seal prevents them from making contact with the actuating rocker arm, if that happens (usually in transit before the inj. pump is first installed), the piston will need to be gently pried back out past the seal.

[ 08-06-2003, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: britannic ]

rumbler1
08-07-2003, 18:10
Hi britannic, yes the piston was lying in the valley, along with the other assorted parts. I gently put everything back in without removing anything except the control which is mounted above the rocker arm. Apparently everything went where it belongs because it runs very smooth, even after a cold start.