PDA

View Full Version : missing when cold

007monkey
10-23-2004, 20:22
When starting my truck in cool to cold weather it misses like a poorly tuned gas motor until it reaches operating temp, especially around 2,000rpm. The glow plugs only go on about 5 times when it is around 40 degrees outside but Im not sure if thats normal or not. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas. I just changed the fuel filter and have the same problem still. Once it warms up its fine and I just cant figure out what to check or replace next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

( 1997 6.5 td 3/4 ton pu, new injectors from kennedy, new glow plugs, new starter, new inj pump and pmd, new lift pump, running amsoil oil and air filter)

damork
10-23-2004, 20:53
I found my glow plug controller contacts were getting weak after installing new plugs and engine still missed after startup. Installing a new AC Delco controller fixed it. I considered looking for a better brand because the contacts didn't look very good (smaller than what I expected), but have over 100,000 miles since and no complaints.

I focused on getting the charging system and battery connections in top shape after than and have not had trouble since.

DA BIG ONE
10-24-2004, 01:28
Usually glow plug circuit, bad glow plug, poor connection, timer?

Until the problem is fixed the cylinder has to heat up through compression/power strokes, and until it heats up it will sound like hell.

I used to leave these things to repair shops only to find the last time glow plugs were changed, the shop did not change the one that is hard to get to on the pass/side of the motor.

007monkey
10-24-2004, 08:06
Thanks for the advice!