PDA

View Full Version : M1008 CUCV w/6.2L..........worth it?

MAV (formerly Maverick)
08-07-2003, 10:59
Looking at maybe buying one of these 83-86 military pick-ups with the 6.2 at a goverment auction. I know they will vary with each unit. I may have to buy several to build one.

Has anyone bought one? Most problems? Would you do it again? How do you like it? Got pics?

Jeff

britannic
08-07-2003, 11:22
I have the M1028 and it's turned out to be a great buy. I bought mine from a guy who got it directly from the government, but I had to register it in the California.

He had to do a lot of work to replace components that had been robbed from it, so it was complete when I got it.

If the one you get is completely original, you'll get a stronger block with more nickel in it than the civilian version, a hardened pump capable of running on Jet A and kerosene, 24v starting system with resistored glow plug circuit (gives at least 10.5v with a max of 15v to the glows for fast starts - the rest of the truck is 12v), dual alternators, HD J engine, Dana 60 up front and a corp. 14 bolt rear. The M1028 has a Dana positrac up front with a detroit locker in the rear as standard.

BARRAZA
08-07-2003, 12:47
I have a m1008. Bought it from a guy that got 7 at one time from gov auction. They're usually low mile and you should have a good selection, I've seen a lot auctioned in AK where you are. There are many with missing parts, be sure and get the most complete you can find. All the ones I have looked at have the usual bumps and scrapes but are in overall good condition with the exception of the engine and whatever parts have been pirated from it. Of all the ones I have seen, none ran, mine needed an injection pump but the rest of the motor had fresh evidence of a rebuild as did the trans and transfer case. Most valuable thing about them is the dana 60 front axle, it's worth $1000 to $1500 depending on miles and condition. Downside is they are definitely bare bones, no options at all, no radio or carpet, idiot lights only, not even a dome light or cig lighter. Also all come with 4.56 gears so dont plan on going anywhere fast. They're easily convertered to 12v. I love mine.

Dieselboy
08-07-2003, 13:48
I pulled my project 6.2L out of a CUCV, and after disassembly, It turned out to have no wear! That thing probably had more hours than miles on it. :D If it starts and runs well, and if the price is right, then it's be a great buy.

john8662
08-07-2003, 14:33
Hey Dieselboy, how funny, you pulled your 6.2 for your project out of a CUCV. i am working on an 86 4x4 burb as my project. I pulled the 6.2 that I just recently installed in the Project Truck "PT" out of a CUCV also (50k miles) seems to run out ok...

Dieselboy
08-07-2003, 14:37
Keep us updated on how the project goes.

88 K30
08-07-2003, 20:15
Originally posted by MAV (formerly Maverick):
Looking at maybe buying one of these 83-86 military pick-ups with the 6.2 at a goverment auction. I know they will vary with each unit. I may have to buy several to build one.

Has anyone bought one? Most problems? Would you do it again? How do you like it? Got pics?

Jeff I have a M1028A3 (M1028 converted to dually). I got it straight from the government (in running condition). They are great, heavy duty trucks, but most have had a hard life, so they need some stuff by the time they get to public sale. You are basically getting what no other federal or state agency wanted.. :(

The M1008 only has a GVW of 8800 lbs (total payload of 2900 lbs), whereas the M1028 is 9400 lbs, due to an overload spring on each side in the rear. The dually versions have a Dana 70 rear and are 10,120 lbs. To be honset, 2900 lbs of payload (including occupants) is more than most people use regularly. The rear locker will get you most places you want to go, but as was said, you won't get there fast with 4.56's and no overdrive..... :D

I bid on a pair of M1008**'s at a sale a few years ago. I did not get them, but I can tell you that they would have needed a good bit of parts/work. Most of these trucks need something.

Inspect them carefully, and bid on the best one (or two to build one). They are heavy duty and have good resale value, when compared to civilian versions.

The usual problems can all be easily fixed. They are things like glow-plugs, glow-plug controllers, injector pumps and, occasionally, wiring. The 12/24 volt system works fine, but many times, they get hacked up. Oh yeah, the alternators can be short-lived, too. The plus is that it is a 100 amp system. Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.

My M1028A3:
http://www.toadmail.com/~cucvfan/m1028a3main.jpg

imported_
08-08-2003, 09:17
I have 86 M1028** (6.2L with NP205 tcase) GV OD approx 3.55 with OD on, 4.56 off I picked it up with 14K miles from a guy who deals military in Hesperia CA. It was a Air Force truck, tarmac use only, no 4x4 offroad for this rig. Along with all the rubber parts worn out due to the desert heat I just did routine maint, and everything is a OK currently 27 K miles. Someday I'll drop in a 6.5 NA and change exhaust to 2.5" I have driven many types of 4x4's, lived in Colorado for 12 years, worked in heavy industrial construction, this is without a doubt the strongest 4x4 I've ever driven.

MAV (formerly Maverick)
08-08-2003, 09:36
Thanks for info. Now the hard part.....finding a cheap good one or two.

So the M1028 is the same as a M1008 but has a higher GVWR?

britannic
08-08-2003, 10:18
The M1008 doesn't have the positrac up front like the M1028 does.

BARRAZA
08-08-2003, 16:36
After reading the above post about GVW of 8800 lbs for a M1008, I decided to go check mine because I thought it was 9800 lbs. Well I was wrong, it is 8800. Suprised me because I have scaled just over 10000 at the local gravel pit several times this summer and was nowhere near bottomed out. Scaled 6000 empty. They're tough trucks!!