PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for a back up starter

Low_Bridge
08-07-2003, 18:10
Every once in a blue moon startereater doesn't totally engage. My understanding is that the later models will fit in an 82 6.2(gear reduction type?) what else would I have to change?

Anybody bought one of this guy's products? He has been listing these regulaly on Ebay below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33573&item=2426736363

gavio
08-08-2003, 01:41
Hi Bill:

Check out the thread from a couple weeks ago titled "starter replacement/upgrade" for the story of what I did. I decided against the guy on ebay as his starters are knockoffs mfg'd in China and I figured that to make 'em for that cheap they must be cutting some corners (more than just the slave labor they use). I got a rebuilt starter from NAPA for not much more and didn't have to wait for shipping.

BTW, the starter makes SO MUCH DIFFERENCE! It'll drop your jaw when you get your new one.

Good luck.

Low_Bridge
08-09-2003, 11:52
Thanks,

Can anyone access the post Gavio referenced?

I can't get a view more than 30 days back in the 6.2 forum.

ropinfool
08-10-2003, 19:01
I put a gear reduction starter on my 83 last year. Immediately noticed the difference. Only thing I had to change was the front bracket, which I got at the dealer for about $3. I bought the starter from an advertiser here, can't remember which one. Good luck. JOhn

Low_Bridge
08-11-2003, 05:42
Thanks that's what I thought. I'll look into NAPA & our advertisers. Anybodys suggestion of what to stay away from will be helpful.

gavio
08-11-2003, 21:48
I see that the earlier thread is no longer with us, so I'll give a quick summary of what I ended up with.

I found that NAPA showed a gear reduction starter for $217 (I told them it was for a '94 so they could look it up) which was not much more than the best price I could find by mail order, considering shipping. When I went in to get it, it turned out to be the open nose type, so having been advised to get the closed-nose type for an automatic, I had the guy get the book out and we looked at pictures until I found what I was looking for. Turns out, if you specify '94 4x4 pickup, it comes up with the right starter. They didn't have it in stock, but the guy went next door to the truck parts division (as in BIG trucks) and found the right starter and the price plummeted (how often does this happen?) to only $189 with a paltry $23 core charge!

I was satisfied and the new starter has been working like a champ. Truly, I'm slack-jawed in amazement at the diffference.

Anyway, YMMV, but if you have access to a NAPA store with a truck parts division, or if your local guy will order from their truck parts selection, you might find what you're lookin' for there.

Good luck ;)

britannic
08-11-2003, 22:49
A big plus is the lower current draw, because the G.R. starter revs higher and then multiplies the torque through the gears.

Low_Bridge
08-12-2003, 04:52
Good, That's the guidence I was lookin for. Being I'm in the Tampa Bay Area of Florida I'll "probably" be able locate a truck division.

gavio
08-12-2003, 10:26
One other thing. . .

I just found my receipt, and I show a NAPA part number of 91-01-3926.

Mebbe that'll help. . .

britannic
08-14-2003, 11:47
I just got done installing my 24v G.R. starter; all I can say is, wow! It's so quiet and fast that I can't release the key quick enough (still used to the old one), the engine starts in less than a second - awesome!!!! :D :cool: :D

Low_Bridge
08-15-2003, 03:59
Is that 24volt Military Gear Reduction? Where did you get it? Reasonable price?

britannic
08-15-2003, 07:44
I got my military 24v rebuild from DB Electrical (http://www.dbelectrical.com/). It looks completely new and cost $269.00 including shippng.

83Silverado
08-26-2003, 07:13
I just wanted to put my two cents in for DB Electrical. (Hey, I didn't even know they had a website!) I've been taking my work to them for a few years now, from alternators to battery cables to starters. Everyone in the area swears by them. In fact, I dropped off a starter for a rebuild just yesterday.

DogDiesel
08-26-2003, 15:46
I'm looking for a selenoid for a gear reduction starter.
Mine just clicks after super super hard pulls, but never misses a beat on normal driving and pulling. A five minute cool down and it always works. I'm losing five miles each time :(

I can almost buy a new starter for the store price.

Wayne