PDA

View Full Version : Engine runs with metallic Klack-klack sound after a bang !?

seeadler
08-08-2003, 02:26
I have a 6.2.l GM V8 Diesel (Ser# 14022660/ZOC492) in my SeaRay245 with 2 circuit cooling (separate cooling fluid from lake/sea water) NO TurboCharger.

1. Last Weekend we were on the lake and after 10 Minutes of cruising I accelarated to 2.200 RPM, we heard a small

seeadler
08-09-2003, 13:12
Hello is somewhere out there to answer my stupid questions ?

PLEASE help me !

catmandoo
08-09-2003, 18:03
does the engine still run alright or does it miss if so maybe you took out an injector maybe you broke a rocker arm kinda hard to tell without hearing it.just my 2 cents worth

whatnot
08-09-2003, 18:21
I don't think you would want 18:1 compression without a turbo.
You might want to check with the Diesel Depot in Georgia. They have many options available and will ship almost anywhere. (see advertisers section at top of page)

Eric Deslauriers
08-10-2003, 00:28
So the engine still runs, clacks a little, and you're ready to toss the whole thing?

I've owned my share of boats and I completely understand the loss-of-power-on-the-water-really-screws-you scenario, but I think you could save a lot of $$ diagnosing what's clacking.

Do the check, then decide.

First check is the rocker arms & valvetrain I would think.

seeadler
08-10-2003, 03:23
att:catmandoo
thank you very much for your response.
the engine runs allright but with that heavy metallic sound that seem to come from the crankshaft section. a mechanic with little GM V8 experience listened to it and he said it could be a main web bearing cracked !? To find out we will have to get out the engine and take it all apart.

So I could displace the injector from the cylinder next to the sound and than see if the sound stops is it this what you suggest ?

I will try.

seeadler
08-10-2003, 03:26
att:whatnot
Thx a lot for your response.
You are posibly right, I also asked Dr. Lee and he wrote back that 1. the company seems not to be very reliable. 2. without a turbo no use for a 18:1 and I should ask avant/Diesel Depot.

Oliver aka Seeadler

seeadler
08-10-2003, 03:31
att: eric D.
thx for your response

Yeah you are probably right, I will check first and than decide what to do. But it would be the right timing to change to a block with more power I thought. It seems so that a 18:1 + Turbo + DB4 and marine injectors would be the right one (but a lot of funds needed :-( ).

Is there a way to get more power out of my 6.2l after repaired ?

Oliver aka Seeadler

P.S. Nice 4x4 what engine do you have in that one ?

catmandoo
08-10-2003, 09:38
i'd try cracking lines on the injectors and see when sound disappears that will isolate which cyl then go from there when injectors stick they can make a hell of a noise also i thought i dropped the bottom end out of my truck one day pulling a hill stopped shut it off checked oil it was ok then started again and good oil pressure so took off and ran ok at slow speeds and then never bothered again til next day so put in new injectors and fine for about 2 weeks then did it again and got me to thinking and it did it both time with fuel from a certain gas station so quit using their fuel and never had another problem ,maybe it's water in fuel it is a boat so that might be a place to look also i know boat motors are hell to get out so i'd try to fix in the boat if possible

whatnot
08-10-2003, 12:36
Do you happen to have the crankshaft pulley with the rubber in it?
When mine went, it made a lot of noise.

seeadler
08-11-2003, 01:22
thx guys I will check all that tonight when back from work.

to bad i can not unmount the oilpan on my boat, i read in an article written by lee swanger, that you can see main web cracks from there.

I will check for water in fuel (but with that I should have the noise all over the engine), than crack the lines, than work me down to the valve's.

If I do not find the reason for that metallic sound, I have to get the boat out of the water and engine out, get the oil pan unmounted look for cracks and than - repair or buy a new block with more power.

That brings me to another thing, I will start a new forum for 6.2l/6.5l boat users, to exchange some informations on power/torgue use of a turbo or belt driven compressor.

*schwing* der seeadler

seeadler
08-11-2003, 01:39
6.2l/6.5l in marine use - what's needed ? (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=003151)

That is the new marine related discussion group, feel free to join :D

Eric Deslauriers
08-11-2003, 15:58
The Blazer has a roller cam police 350. I'm replacing it with a JeepSpeed Cherokee (http://www.jeepspeed.com) which I should be able to pick up by end of Aug at the latest.

For the 6.2, lots of people just throw a turbo on it. I'm doing that to mine this week. We'll see how it goes. :D

seeadler
08-18-2003, 05:03
Update:
Getting out the boat and the engine this week.
have gone the whole way of cracking lines etc.

It seems to be a crankshaft problem, we will see.

Is it worth to check on the engine with a stethoscope ? where should I start the search ?
-----------
Eric what's with your banks turbo ? does it work ?

Oliver aka Seeadler

britannic
08-18-2003, 09:16
Wie gehts SeeAdler!

First determine if the clack/noise is at half or full crank speed. If half, concentrate your search on the valve-train; full, listen to the crankshaft area - but do it all anyway.

Bis gleich, Britannic...

seeadler
08-19-2003, 01:48
smile.gif Danke sch

catmandoo
08-19-2003, 06:52
i wish you could hear my 82 suburban it has the wickedest sounding knock in it. the guy i got it from 8 years ago said when he was out in arizona for the winter he scored a piston and put in a goodwrench motor and he said it knocked like this from day one and i'll be damned if anybody can give me an answer as to what it is i had the pan off years ago to put in a rear main seal and thought i'd do a little checking beings i was in there pulled all caps and bearings were like new and looked at all pistons for cracks and couldn't see any said heck with it put back together and am driving it to this day has right at 185,000

seeadler
08-19-2003, 07:13
@catmandoo

that is an idea I could record my sound as a mp3 file and publish it here or send it by e-mail.

you could do so with your sound and probably it is the same or close.

we should open up the "sound section" here, publish the unusual sound of a certain engine and if already found the solution for the problem.

this would help a lot of us !
thx Oliver

seeadler
09-09-2003, 03:08
FOUND OUT THE PROBLEM YOU WILL NEVER GUESS WHAT ?

I really would like to show you with a picture I made, pictures say more than 1000 words.

It was a 8mm nut that was soaked in throgh the intake, valve and than stamped into the piston. "klack klack klack"

Thats all !

Now I have to reassamble the engine and need full gasket/seal set, 1 piston, set of quick glow plugs, would you suggest a new camshaft with a more torque over a broader rpm ?

Dress up with polished valve covers :)

Has anybody a good shop where I could order ?

Thx, Oliver aka Seeadler

catmandoo
09-09-2003, 07:01
happy to hear ya found your problem and not to drastic, did ya have to pull the motor

seeadler
09-09-2003, 07:11
Yes we had to take out the engine and we totally stripped it into its pieces except the pistons and valves. But we will have to take that piston with the nut in it out and probably will exchange the valve seals.

I look for a seal/gasket set for the whole engine, 1 piston, set of quick glow plugs.

Any ideas where to order, it will take 3 weeks for our local supplier. Should be done in 3 days with airfreight.

well thanks for all the help

Oliver

whatnot
09-09-2003, 10:27
Did you try here:
http://www.marinediesel.nu They sell supercharged 6.5 marine engines so I would think they would have parts.

Here is a link to the distributor page: http://www.marinediesel.nu/links.htm#

seeadler
09-15-2003, 06:29
Thank you for the link I will try them as well as peninsulardiesel and will report the ongoing story.

Oliver