PDA

View Full Version : rear main seal help needed

89 Diesel Power
08-09-2003, 11:03
Hi All,

I am stumped now....I just got my 89 Jimmy/6.2L back from the garage yesterday from having the rear main seal replaced with a new G.M. seal and the mechanic told me that there was no seal at all when he took it apart. He just pushed the new seal (2-piece)in the block and it slid right through to the opposite end with nothing being pushed out of the seal passage.Wierd. Anyways the new seal is in and the truck is still leaking like it was before.Is there something that can be causing this leak to happen by internal pressure or something like that? All opinions are welcome as I have to fix this problem very soon as it is destroying my driveway and even worse is a mojor risk to the engine.I even had a new oilpan installed aswell. Any ideas???
Thanks
Mike :confused: :mad:

rumbler1
08-09-2003, 14:43
Engines that had the old rope type seal, which yours may have had, sometimes had them mysteriously disappear. The new two piece seal should stop the leak. You may have a non functioning CDR valve, that sound shiny object located near and connected to your oil fill tube. The valve, if working correctly, will prevent a buildup of crankcase pressure. Other things that can cause crankcase pressure would include very worn rings and cracked or broken pistons. For more on this check out the post on excess crankcas pressure listed a few days ago.

89 Diesel Power
08-09-2003, 16:08
Thanks for tye replys guys.
Mike

catmandoo
08-09-2003, 17:59
the oil sender is on the back of the block maybe it's leaking too. i also took my 82 suburban apart for a rear main and it was totally gone also. now the front seal is leaking so looks like timing chain and waterpump time.also maybe he put the seal in backwards it has been known to happen to the best of em.