PDA

View Full Version : CODES PO234, PO181

LV TURBO BUICK
01-08-2003, 23:27
HI--I HAVE A CUSTOMER THAT HAS A 01 WITH THE TTS POWER SYSTEM 80 HP. UPGRADE. IT WAS INSTALLED 01/02. HE TOWS A 48 FT 2 RACE CAR TRAILER. WE HAD NO PROBLEMS TILL LATE IN JUNE WHEN HE WAS TOWING UP BAKER GRADE IN CA. THE TRANS WENT TO 3RD GEAR AND WOULD NOT SHIFT UP OR DOWN. HE PULLED OVER , SHUT THE TRUCK OFF, STARTED IT AGAIN AND ALL WAS FINE. WHEN HE GOT BACK TO VEGAS I SCANED IT TO FIND A CODE P0735--5TH GEAR RATIO ERROR. I HAD JUST GOTTEN A OTC MENTOR AND DID NOT KNOW TO LOOK IN ANOTHER AREA FOR MOTOR CODES. ANYWAY THE PROBLEM DID NOT HAPPEN AGAIN FOR A WHILE. BUT NOW IT HAPPENS ANYTIME WE HOOK UP THE TRAILER. SO WE TOOK IT TO THE DEALER TO HAVE IT CHECKED. THEY CAME OUT AND ASKED IF WE HAD THE COMPUTER UPGRADED? AND WE SAID OF CORSE NOT! then they said it had code po234 boost sensor (overboost) and po181 fuel temp. sensor. then they asked about the computer again!!!. i didnt know if installing a straight thru. muffler could cause over boost? so i tryed to call steve cole at tts 5 times today but he never call back and the nice lady on the phone said he was leaving for about a week- in the morning. the owner of the truck says the boost gauge hits 26 lbs in the big hills. the truck has 27,000 miles and the trailer weight is about 18,000 lbs. i dont know if this is a computer problem with controling the boost. just driving it hits 23 lbs with no trailer. or maybe a boost creep problem in the wastegate or solenoid.------------thanks for any help----len in las vegas :confused:

mackin
01-09-2003, 04:47
There is a flash for the false over boost code......
=>15076142000052D3 calibration to correct false trouble codes and a misfire condition. also addresses p0234 diagnostic codes.

Limp mode seems to be defined in what you friend was doing....

Never mind all that ,where were the EGT'S??? What computer upgrade ,factory recalibration ,or,were the asking about ???

MAC

LV TURBO BUICK
01-09-2003, 05:52
Never mind all that ,where were the EGT'S??? What computer upgrade ,factory recalibration ,or,were the asking about ???

i'll have to ask about egt reading because we do have a gauge.

as far as the computer--they asked him if he had a chip or anything done for upgrade for more power. thanks---len

sdaver
01-09-2003, 07:10
hothothothothothot......... :eek: dave

SteveO
01-09-2003, 11:26
LV TURBO BUICK,

I have a few questions::

1: When you say it "HAPPENS ANYTIME WE HOOK UP THE TRAILER".. Are you getting the Trans code PO735 (5th incorrect gear ratio) and the Engine Codes with the Lock in 3rd?

2: Does the truck still have the two snorkles between the Air Cleaner housing and fender? If not, did the dealer install the updated Aircleaner housing?

3: Has the dealer installed ALL the PCM Engine and Transmission (TCM) Software updates?

4: When the truck was taken in the first time to the dealer was the 80hp TTS still installed?

5: If you remove the TTS Reflash will those codes and problems still persist?

6: Has the trans been serviced

mdrag
01-09-2003, 13:13
: When you say it "HAPPENS ANYTIME WE HOOK UP THE TRAILER".. Are you getting the Trans code PO735 (5th incorrect gear ratio) and the Engine Codes with the Lock in 3rd?----YES WE GET ALL 3 CODES AFTER HOOKING UP THE TRAILER AND PULLING OUT ON THE HIWAY FOR LESS THAN 5 MILES

2: Does the truck still have the two snorkles between the Air Cleaner housing and fender? If not, did the dealer install the updated Aircleaner housing?DEALER DID NOT CHANGE ANYTHING AS FAR AS WE KNOW---I PULLED THE AIR FILTER OUT AND ONLY SEE 1 INLET TUBE COMMING INTO AIR BOX---IT HAS A K+N FILTER THAT WAS VERY VERY DIRTY

3: Has the dealer installed ALL the PCM Engine and Transmission (TCM) Software updates? ---NO WE DIDNT LET DO ANYTHING YET. WE WERE TRYING TO PROTECT THE TTS UP GRADE.

4: When the truck was taken in the first time to the dealer was the 80hp TTS still installed?
YES--TRUCK HAS ONLY BEEN TO DEALER FOR CHECK OUT 1 TIME WITH NO UPDATES INSTALLED BY DEALER
5: If you remove the TTS Reflash will those codes and problems still persist? WE DID NOT TRY THIS YET. I TALK TO STEVE COLE AT TTS BEFORE THE TRUCK WENT TO THE DEALER AND TRYED TO TALK TO HIM AGAIN YESTERDAY AFTER WE GOT THE TRUCK BACK. BUT HE JUST WONT CALL ME BACK. CUSTOMER SERVICE?

6: Has the trans been serviced YES--I AM A TRANSMISSION SHOP HERE IN VEGAS. I ALSO HAVE A 01 2500 HD D/A AND HAVE INSTALLED THE DEEP PAN AND FILTER AND BOTH OF THE TRUCKS. I REMOVED THE DEEP PAN AND FILTER ON HIS TRUCK AND INSTALLED THE OEM BACK ON BEFORE IT WENT TO THE DEALER INCASE THEY WANTED TO SWAP OUT THE TRANS. HIS PAN WAS VERY CLEAN EVERY TIME I DROPED IT AND FLUID WAS NOT BURNT AT ALL

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

mdrag
01-09-2003, 13:20
The above post was made by LV TURBO BUICK even though it has my name on it. I tried to deleted a duplicate post he made - in doing so both of his posts were deleted in the process :confused:

The edit screen remained in the my cache, and when I unchecked the 'delete post' button, LV TURBO BUICK'S post reappered with my name on it :confused:

Sorry LV TURBO BUICK for the mix up. I did not edit the post, but you may want to check it for accuracy.

mdrag

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

LV TURBO BUICK
01-09-2003, 13:43
VERY STANGE---SORRY FOR THE MIX UP---YES THAT IS MY POST AND LOOKS TO BE INTACT----THANKS---LEN

lonestarduramax
01-09-2003, 15:50
This probably has nothing to do with the engine and transmission problems, but your customer is 3000 lbs over th GCWR for these trucks. I know people that do it on the heavier commercial trucks Im around daily and it still doesn't make it right. I just don't understand how people can sit there as not understand or questions why they have conponents failing on vehicles when they use the trucks in ways they weren't ment to be used. I have modifications to my engine, and yes have had a few problems, but I don't bitch when something is wrong because Im the only one to blame. In my honest opinion your customer needs a medium duty truck for the pulling he is doing. You can get away with a little but if he is hauling like it sounds like he is......there will be many more problems to come.

And yes I know the 15-19500 Mediums have the same engine and trans combo, Im just saying the truck as a whole isn't set up for that kind of towing. It's just an observation.

LV TURBO BUICK
01-09-2003, 17:04
OK FIRST OF ALL I WANT TO APOLOGIZE TO STEVE COLE FOR GETTING UPSET AT HIM FOR NOT RETURNING MY PHONE CALLS YESTERDAY. I AM JUST ANOTHER BUSINESS OWNER CAUGHT BETWEEN A CUSTOMER WITH A BROKEN TRUCK AND ANOTHER BUSINESS OWNER TRYING TO TAKE CARE OF HIS BUSINESS AND LEAVING TO ANOTHER STATE TO DO MORE BUSINESS. I NEVER DID SAY IN MY POST'S THAT I DID TALK TO STEVE BEFORE THE TRUCK WENT TO THE DEALER. AND STEVE DID LISTEN TO MY PROBLEM AND WE TALKED FOR ABOUT 30 MINS. ABOUT IT. WHEN I WAS TOLD THAT HE WAS LEAVING FOR AWHILE I DIDNT KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT SAVING THE UPGRADE TO THE COMPUTER AND GETTING MY CUSTOMER ON THE ROAD. BUT STEVE ALREADY TOLD ME TO LET THEM DO WHAT THEY NEEDED TO DO AND HE COULD REFLASH LATER.

I ALSO WANT TO THANK STEVE FOR TAKING TIME TODAY TO CALL ME FROM MICHIGAN. AFTER A BRIEF DISCUSSION ABOUT MY POST'S :D WE TALK ABOUT THE PROBLEM'S THE TRUCK WAS HAVING. WHICH HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS REPROGRAMING.

mackin
01-09-2003, 17:09
LV TURBO BUICK

I guess this means you have the re flashed PCM no handheld???
Also I thought the newest updates were in the TTS flash???
If it truly is a False Over Boost.....

Now some would say there it is, dirty air filter, I say nope, it's KN. it's filthy dirty, it's at peak efficiency..... ;)

How many miles on your fuel filter??
Can't wait to see what them EGT'S were....

Looking forward to more info as your the first to lets say,get your feet wet at the dealer with The FLASH....

MAC

You know Mdrag, I thought a couple of my post didn't look right......To many Diesel fumes....? :D

AzKevin
01-09-2003, 17:26
Yes, it will be interesting to know if the tech suspected a chip/box/etc because of the Allison's limp mode or was there something else out of place.

LV TURBO BUICK
01-09-2003, 19:08
I guess this means you have the re flashed PCM no handheld???
Also I thought the newest updates were in the TTS flash???
If it truly is a False Over Boost.....

Now some would say there it is, dirty air filter, I say nope, it's KN. it's filthy dirty, it's at peak efficiency..... LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT A DIRTY AIR FILTER---UNDER THE AIRFILTER WAS A RATS NEST. HE USED THE UNDER HOOD INSULATION PAD AND MOVED RIGHT IN. IT 1/2 FILLED A PLASTIC SHOPPING BAG FROM THE STORE AND SMELLED LIKE PEE PEE! AND YES THE FILTER MINDER WAS IN THE RED.

How many miles on your fuel filter??FILTERS GET DONE EVERY 10,000 MILES SO ITS DUE IN 3000 MILES

Can't wait to see what them EGT'S were.... DONT HAVE ANY INFO YET.

Looking forward to more info as your the first to lets say,get your feet wet at the dealer with The FLASH....WELL ITS LIKE THIS---IM GOING TO CLEAN THE MASS AIR FLOW. AND THEN WE'LL HOOK THE TRAILER UP AND GO FOR A RIDE.IF IT STILL SET A CODE. I'LL TRY SWAPING THE MASS AIR FLOW FROM MY TRUCK JUST TO SEE IF MIGHT BE BAD. AT THE SAME TIME I'LL WATCH THE NUMBERS ON THE SCANNER. IF IT STILL SETS CODES IT WILL GO TO A DEALER IN CA. NEXT WEEK.

YES THIS IS THE REFLASHED COMPUTER NOT THE HANDHELD AND IS UPDATED FOR THE OVERBOOST PROBLEM BY TTS. ALSO SAID THE DEALER GUYS JUST SAW THE MUFFLER AND THE K+N AND GUESSED ABOUT THE UPGRADE. LEN

SteveO
01-09-2003, 20:42
LV TURBO BUICK,

Please leave the CAP LOCK off.. Caps mean your Yelling smile.gif

First off: Just as lonestarduramax stated the truck trailer is 5K over the 22K rating, but that's another topic in it's self..

Second: I absolutely do not recommend runing a "BOX" "Reflash" or what ever at MAX GCVW (over GCVW in your case) in the HIGH 80hp setting.. Did Steve Cole say it was ok to Tow that heavy with that much Power?

Third: You (Customer) will be buying a trans soon if this continues.. The PO735 Is a BIGGY!!! The other codes are beside the point as far as I'm concerned......

Fourth: Have the Dealer update the TCM and PCM with the latest Software.. Get rid of the Reflash and get a TTS Power programer or Edge or the new Predator and set it on the lower settings for TOWING.......

Fifth: Put the deep pan back on and install Synthetic Fluid and a new Spin-on filter..

Sorry, but that's the way I see it... :(

LV TURBO BUICK
01-10-2003, 08:20
This probably has nothing to do with the engine and transmission problems,---YOUR RIGHT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY POST--------
but your customer is 3000 lbs over th GCWR for these trucks.---- OK SO YOUR A USED CAR SALESMEN (CARSHARK) AND THIS MAKES YOU A EXPERT ON HOW SOMEONE ELSE SHOULD USE THERE TRUCK? HOW?
I know people that do it on the heavier commercial trucks Im around daily---WHY BRCAUSE THEY WALK THRU THE SHOWROOM TO THE SERVICE AREA?---
and it still doesn't make it right. I just don't understand how people can sit there as not understand or questions why they have conponents failing on vehicles when they use the trucks in ways they weren't ment to be used.---GEE THAT FUNNY I REMEMBER DRIVING THRU TEXAS AND SAYING WOW LOOK AT THAT GUY WITH A PICKUP AND A 40 FT TRAILER PULLING 40,000 LBS OF CATTLE.
I have modifications to my engine, and yes have had a few problems, but I don't bitch when something is wrong because Im the only one to blame.WHO SAID ANYONE WAS BITCHING ANYWAY!

In my honest opinion--WHO ASKED YA!!

your customer needs a medium duty truck---WHAT A SALES MEN YOU ARE PARTNER.HOW DOOO

for the pulling he is doing. You can get away with a little but if he is hauling like it sounds like he is......there will be many more problems to come.

lonestarduramax----your post has nothing to do with my customer's truck setting codes?
what makes you think the crap you wrote helps me in anyway?
i didnt ask you or anyone else for opinion on how someone you dont even know should use their truck. you have enough problem's on your own.

i would have sent this e-mail but this guy doesnt list one

sdaver
01-10-2003, 08:31
FELT THE HEAT AND STILL SMELL THE SMOKE :D DAVE

mdrag
01-10-2003, 11:05
LV TURBO BUICK,

I don't feel that your response to lonestarduramax was justified. Take a minute to review the Forum Registration Agreement. Unlike other forums, personal attacks, name calling etc. is not tolerated in TDP forums and can put your posting privileges in jeopardy. Consider this a warning.

I believe the weight issue here is a real concern with your customer's problems, especially running a power adder.

lonestarduramax
01-10-2003, 12:07
LV TURBO BUICK,

Calm down there partner. My post was a reminder of what these trucks capable of. And yes it did have something do do with your post. You posted the way "your customer" was using the truck and the weight he was pulling. Observation of your post and the 180000 lbs threw up a red flag about what these trucks are rated and equipped to carry. My response wasn't directed at you, it was addressed to anyone in this formum who would read it, to remind some what these types of vehicles are set up for and there boundaries.

Second your comment on how I am a used car salesman was just ignorant. You don't know me or what I do, my response was from being a Duramax owner myself, just like everyone else that post replies in this forum. I never have or stated to be an expert on how someone else uses there vehicle, but if someone is abusing a product I have some knowledge from being a owner, and experiences of other owners I know. Then yes, in good faith and as a friendly gesture I might say say something. If I can't do that is this forum without being attacked in the manner that you have then I might as well stop posting at all. But I don't believe if everyone thought this way as much would have been accomplished as has been so far in this forum. One of the goals is to helping Duramax owners understand there vehicles better.

Your observation from the bottom of my post that I live in Texas was excellent. I too have seen the 40 foot Cattle trailers being pulled by pick-ups. Thank you for making my point more clear. These are some of the guys Im talking about, experiences I've seen first hand. Believe me, they are the ones that don't understand why they have problems when they do that to a light duty truck. It could be a f**d, D*dge, or a Duramax pulling those kinds of loads. Those loads have put many of my friends trucks in the shop numerous times. Most don't understand till they are scrapping money together for there 3rd tranny.

You said at the end of your post, and I quote:
"I didn't ask you or anyone else for opinion on how someone you don't even know should use their truck. you have enough problem's on your own."

My question to you is what problems do I have? Your point that I shouldn't give opinions on what others I don't know should do with there trucks was taken. Why would you post a question and not expect an opinion back from anyone, why post at all. I only ask that you take your own advise and not make childish, uninformed, and flat out wrong statement about others on a peronal level when you don't know them either.

I don't post much, I mostly read and take in knowledge of others around me. I thought my post could be of some help, not an attack on anyone. Im sorry that you didn't take it that way.