PDA

View Full Version : Class A turbo manifold built

Eric Deslauriers
08-10-2003, 00:21
Well, I'm not proud of the majority of the welds (hey, it's been like 16 years since I arc-welded anything, sue me) and I'm not proud of the hack job putting the hole in the turbo flange I made of 5/8" steel (next time, I find a plasma cutter), but it looks solid and the turbo's not going to fall off. smile.gif

I should have a chance to install it later this week, then run it to an exhaust shop for the exhaust work.

I'll post a full write up and pics.

Summary:
6.2 diesel in a class A motorhome and no room to mount the turbo above the manifold.

Bought a 6.5TD passenger manifold, chopped a hole in the side, built an adapter and welded it to the cast iron using rod specifically for cast iron welding from muggyweld.com.

I have to finish porting it and cleaning the slag out, then build a cap for the stock turbo's exit. I wanted to chop it off and cap it, but ran out of rod. It goes away surprisingly fast. Or I totally suck. :D One of those. LOL

Took it to another buddy (did 150 miles just for this thing alone today) and milled it flat post weld. One of them had a sheet of exhaust material he just gave me, so I'll be able to make my own gaskets. Sweet!

My pump & injectors got here yesterday. Wow. The pump looks brand new, all painted. Someone took his time. Looks extremely well done. Does NOT look like a $185 reman job. New parts abound.

So, I'm over the hump and now it's just the the time consuming and expensive stuff that remains - like exhaust work. smile.gif