PDA

View Full Version : hard starting

ueckebes
10-17-2004, 19:21
heres the deal.about 8 months ago i replaced the engine in my 82 gmc ,the old one broke the front part of the crank, after 22 years and 352k miles of service. i replaced the old 6.2,with a 92 model 6.2 that my best friend rebuilt for me,in doing the rebuild ,i did away with the timeing chain,and added the gear drive,added rebuilt injectors,{high flow 6.5}and also added a rebuilt injector pump from a 6.5. the mechanical fuel lift pump was also replaced with a new one. now heres the prob. after setting over night,its a little hard to start the next morn,even in warm temps,two long cranks on the key.this is the case 7 out of 10 times. also all the glow plugs are good. after the truck cranks and has run a few mins it some times stumbles on take off {like air in the sys}briefly,then runs fine,has excellent power. after 20 years of driveing and working on 6.2 diesels,im stumped, the inj pump has been rechecked by the shop that rebuilt it,and has less than 5k miles on it,incidently this is the same thing the 6.5 truck was doing,that i removed the pump from to begin with. could it be a bad rebuild on the pump,or could it be a slight error in the way the engine was timed,when my friend rebuilt it..