PDA

View Full Version : Rally STX Van 6.2 with 4spd STD...?

KEVIN MUNCASTER
10-21-2004, 16:26
I see a 1987 Conv. Van for sale with 6.2 and a 4 gear. Has anyone owned one, and how did it work. Price is okay and unit is very clean. Thought it might make a good Florida bus this coming March.

Larry Andrews
10-23-2004, 07:52
When you say 4-speed do you mean auto (700R4) or stick? I'd probably give my eye teeth for a stickshift in my '83 G25. Everything I've checked into says that they never put a straight drive in the vans. :(

My van is okay, but the 6.2 has some difficulty pushing all that frontal area above 65 in fourth. The 3.08 ratio really doesn't help matters. However, it will climb most hills without too much difficulty in third but it's a LOT louder in third than fourth.

It's definitely nice to have that much interior space when traveling. smile.gif

KEVIN MUNCASTER
10-23-2004, 07:57
The dealer says it's a standard transmission, shift on the floor. I've never seen such a unit. It's a conversion van, no rust 150,000 miles, barn doors on the side. Clean, runs well (according to him) $5600.00 (us) He's 5 hours away, but it may be worth the trip.

Thanks for the input.

Larry Andrews
10-23-2004, 08:09
Wow...that's a lot of money for a van that old. :eek:

gavio
10-23-2004, 15:20
Depends on how bad you want a diesel van.....

I looked for a long time to find a really clean solid diesel van. They are pretty scarce. If it really is a factory stick shift, that makes it nearly one-of-a-kind. They did build some vans with manual trannies in them, but even gasser versions are like hen's teeth, and this would be the first diesel I've ever heard of. It could also have been converted by some previous owner. Later on, they even put in 5-speeds, but I've only ever seen one of those, even in gasser form.

I used to have a Dodge van with overdrive and stick - the shifter was bent backwards since it comes up through the floor kind of behind the driver, so you sort of shift it upside-down.

If you go to see it, check it for signs of the shift linkage having been removed from under the floor or firewall - that should give you some idea if it's factory or not. As far as price - like I said, it depends on how bad you want one - they aren't easy to find, especially if they're nice. I paid over book value for mine (though admittedly not THAT much over) and haven't regretted it.

Oh, and report back - I'm not in the market, but inquiring minds want to know. ;)

Good luck!

farmerherb
10-24-2004, 05:42
I have a 83 conversion van, bought it couple years ago $1800. Interior looked new, 25MPG on the road. Wife loves it for travel, power has none. I bought a turbo for it, now I need the manifolds to install it. anyone have some spares?

catmandoo
10-24-2004, 07:53
here in iowa diesel vans are almost nonexistant.i have only seen maybe a dozen in the last 3 years,and by a strange coinsidence saw one at my local fuel station just this morning,i would have been right next to him but i was (shame on me) at the gas pump with momm'a sub.