PDA

View Full Version : TIMING ADVANCE 6.2 ?

cordell
08-12-2003, 11:21
standing in front of the truck looking at the motor,with the timing mark on the pump adjusted to the right,this would mean the pump is retarded right? and it is adjusted quite a bit off from the timing mark on the timing cover,is this an indication of something or has someone just retarded it too much? any help?

britannic
08-12-2003, 11:37
If the pump timing mark is to the driver's side of the timing cover mark, then it's advanced. Each 1/16" represents approx 3 degrees of advance. At around 100,000 miles the timing chain may have worn enough to start impacting timing, so a 1/16" can help to offset that, but do check the timing with a meter to be sure.

cordell
08-12-2003, 11:47
ok then,its probally advanced too much could explain my black smoke.!

britannic
08-12-2003, 11:56
Bring it back to about 1/16" advanced toward the driver's side and work from there - the baseline is TDC @ 1400rpm. Too advanced or retarded will cause more black smoke and so will not enough air. When the timing is hugely retarded, then white smoke from unburnt fuel will result.

[ 08-12-2003, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: britannic ]

NH2112
08-12-2003, 17:26
You can't only go by the timing marks, because with a worn chain TDC might not line up with the marks. To be 100% accurate you'd have to hook up a timing set and see where exactly you are, then set timing to 0 and scribe a new line on the pump mounting flange. My timing is advanced 11 degrees, I think, and I'm 99% sure the pump line is to the left (passenger side) of the line on the flange.

cordell
08-12-2003, 17:47
thanks guys,i dont think its too far out, cause it runs real good,quiet etc,just smokes heavy when i stand on it.gonna play with adjustment and try it out,dont have a timing light.someone needed it more than me i guess :mad:

britannic
08-12-2003, 18:00
If the engine runs real quiet, it could be retarded, as NH2112 and I stated in our earlier posts, definitely get it checked with a meter.

catmandoo
08-12-2003, 20:49
what kinda meter?i used to have a snap-on pulse adapter for an inductive pickup timing lite but it was the biggest piece of s#*t on the planet just like the rest of the new crap-on stuff if you have any old tools from the 60's or so don't trade em in i swear they make em out of aluminum anymore and i won't even get into their rats#&ts

britannic
08-12-2003, 23:04
I tried the Snap-On lumy inductive pickup that allows you to use a conventional timing light triggered by the combustion flash. It's hard to use, because it's not easy to get a clear line of sight to the timing mark and scale on the crank damper/timing cover.

Now I use a Ford Rotunda that works just great (eBay bargain of my life!). It too is a lumy pickup with magnetic sensor for the crank pulley and can use any glow plug hole thanks to the adjustable offset. Before that, I had a Snap-On MT480 which was really good, until the mag pickup wore out (I'm still looking for a replacement pickup, so I can sell it complete).

Most of us will only check the timing once or twice in the engine's lifetime, so unless you have friend like me, or find an eBay bargain, it's probably more cost effective to go to a diesel shop and get the timing checked.

rugger
08-12-2003, 23:33
Originally posted by britannic:
Before that, I had a Snap-On MT480 which was really good, until the mag pickup wore out (I'm still looking for a replacement pickup, so I can sell it complete).
Snapon can still supply the probes and all the other parts for them, but they're not cheap. I have a friend that works for snapon and he can get them for 30% off. I'll let you know what they cost.

CHEERS, RUGGER

britannic
08-12-2003, 23:36
Thanks Rugger, I'd really appreciate that! :D

Dieselboy
08-13-2003, 10:09
Originally posted by britannic:
Most of us will only check the timing once or twice in the engine's lifetime, so unless you have friend like me, or find an eBay bargain, it's probably more cost effective to go to a diesel shop and get the timing checked. That was my thought too, but finding a diesel shop that can do timing with a meter has been tough. Most of the places that I've called (GM dealer, Freightliner, DIS, etc.) had a meter, but it broke. They don't work on too many mechanical pumps anymore, so they didn't bother replacing the tool. It's pretty frustrating. :mad:

Please let me know if you find an outfit that does this kind of work.