PDA

View Full Version : Timing running hot

willibig
08-12-2003, 21:26
Hello

After going through a problem with an out of control engine due to an IP problem i noticed that my pump was adjusted so that it set directly on the on the static timing mark. Having had a cooling problem since i got the engine from Peninsular i have been on the look out for reasons that it would be running hot when i noticed where the timing mark was in relation to where at had been on previous engines the first thin that came to mind in that the engine had never been timed since the pump was put on. so would this lack on timing by my friends at Peninsular be a possible cause for running hot?

britannic
08-12-2003, 23:18
If the IP is new and the cam chain/gear drive are within spec, with the marks lined up, may run slightly hotter than it should.

What kind of EGTs and boost are you seeing with your setup?

Are you making any kind of smoke?

With a mechanical IP turbo engine, your timing should be baselined to TDC @ 1400rpm, unless the manual states otherwise. Once you're happy with your settings for that timing you can experiment by advancing a degree or two and decide if it's beneficial.

I've found that my turbo engine with 4911 didn't benefit as much with up to 6 degrees advanced timing as it did with the stock set up.

Right now my timing's set to TDC @ 2200rpm which for my application is giving good economy and about 600-650F EGTs/12-14psi boost at 70mph, OAT 85F, 2600'.

willibig
08-13-2003, 08:42
hello

At sea level post turbo my egt never get above 350 (I'am changing location of the probe). the engine only has about 40,000 miles so chain stretch should not be that big of an issue. i have little to no smoke with teh pump turned all the way up except for about a 1/4 or so unless i'am in a high gear @ close to full throttle @ low RPM's (my trans does not downshift unless i do in manually). My cooling problems begin at around 60mph with A/C and or a trailer then rise from there 220*+, this is with all new cooling hardware dual thermastats, high output water pump (v belt) 6 row Radiator, and auxiliary oil cooler.

Thanks