PDA

View Full Version : looking to swap in a 6.2

Keith Richards
10-22-2004, 17:53
I just purchased a 79 1 ton 4x4 crew cab, with a body thats in real good shape, good 4x4 system,but it has a inline six cylinder engine that I would like to swap for a 6.2.Anyone done this type of conversion?I'm probably going to drive the gas burner for at least a few months to see what I can get out of her.Does anyone know what a good 6.2 motor would go for$$?I dont care about high miles,just that its in good working condition.

CleviteKid
10-23-2004, 05:56
This would be a nice conversion project, and a unique one when you are finished. Those who have done it recommend buying a beater diesel donor truck for all the little parts, doo-dads, wiring harnesses, etc. you will need, including things like the hydroboost braking system.

To get a good, tested, used diesel engine, contact Jamie Avant at The Diesel Depot. Click on "THE DIESEL DEPOT" (http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/avant.htm) for information and contact data.

Dr. Lee :cool:

catmandoo
10-23-2004, 07:43
you say it's a 1 ton if so it should already have a hydra-boost,but then i do'nt know if they had them back in 79.otherwise you could get by with a minimum of harnesses and eliminate the glowplug system,,just set up a push button for the glowplugs,but use 60g's if you do,also to run the engine all you need do is take the power wire off the coil and run it to the inj pump.also the gas tank(s) have to be drained.also the bolt pattern on the torque converter might be different.unless you have a clutch,then you will need a donor truck for the flywheel and possibly bellhousing.years ago i put an olds 455 in my 79 crewcab man that really made it a nice truck,wish i still had that one.

Keith Richards
10-24-2004, 16:36
Thanks for the replys,I will write that info down.It has a hydra-matic turbo 400 tranny,dana 60 front,14 bolt rear,very cool truck, and to be honest I did a tune up on the inline six and its running really smooth(only has about 50,000 miles)and I'm kind of enjoying putting the hammer down on this little six.It sounds pretty cool to I had to fix the exhaust.So I'm gonna see how I do with gas milage and whatnot.The 6.2 is a definate do-able project in the near future though.Can anyone tell me how to find out what gear ratio I have?I'll check the rear axle to see if I find any numbers on it,I changed the gear oil on the front 60 today and didn't see any ratio numbers.

TomEichenberger
10-25-2004, 06:20
My dad had a 64' Carryall Suburban with an Inline 6 and you couldn't kill it. If there was any Chevy gas motor I'd keep,this would be the one.

It's a great engine (must be a good idea, GM has gone back to the inline gas 6)! Just a thought, look into a bombproof, bluprinted and balanced rebuild and turbocharge charge it. I don't know enough about it to say whether it would work, but I bet the guys on the other Chevy sites(and here) could clue you in.

Course, if you want the catsmeow, it would be a Cummins. But thats outta my league(Take it away Brittanic et al.)

Good luck.

Tom

Keith Richards
10-28-2004, 15:35
A cummins is also a thought in the future of this truck.Right now I'm getting pretty lousy milage because it has a 4.56 gear ratio and full time 4wd. It was a N.J. state forest truck.What exactly is the hydraboost braking system all about,thanks.

odee
10-30-2004, 05:07
the hydro boost brake is run off the powersteering pump. I have a one ton and a friend has another that don't have it not sure what the split was but it is not a bad job to swap over.