PDA

View Full Version : putting in new lower rod bearings, any tricks?

libtec
10-22-2004, 18:15
I'm going to put in new lower rod bearings tomorrow on my 90 6.2. Are there any tricks or things I should be looking for since I have the motor open? I'm not a mechanical newby, but this is my first time tackling a bearing replacement with the motor still in the truck. Thanks in advance.

DmaxMaverick
10-23-2004, 00:13
Why are you replacing only the bearings?

If you have a reason to replace the bearings, you should be looking at the whole engine. The main/rod bearings are not a weak component of the engine. If the bearings have failed, you have problems elsewhere, both before the failure and after. If the problem is low oil pressure, a more likely candicate is the lifters, or other parts. Try a Plastigage on your old bearings first. You may be surprised.

farmerherb
10-23-2004, 05:41
I've seen low oil pressure in a 6.2 from worn cam bearings. I've also seen "rebuilt" motors with low oil pressure, because it was too much trouble replacing cam bearings or they think the bearings do't wear as fast.

catmandoo
10-23-2004, 07:48
yeah kinda makes me wonder too why your changing rod brg's,as suggested i'd pull a couple of caps and plastigage em and see whats in there for clearance.also you can push the rod up and use a mic in there to get all the way around the journal to see what you have for out of round.i'd also drop a main or 2 and see what you have there.

TimK
10-25-2004, 06:17
Libtec,

There aren't any tricks in replacing the 6.2L bearings. They are fairly easy to get to with the engine in the truck. I find that anytime I need to rotate the engine while working on it, removing the glow plugs help so you don't have to fight the compression while hand turning the engine. The hardest part is getting the pan off. My only suggestions is to check the main bearings while you are under there. Check the main bearing web for cracks and since you have it all apart you might as well throw a new oil pump on. Of course if your bearings look ok, then I would leave them alone.

TimK