PDA

View Full Version : TH400->TH700R4 Conversion: Shifter Linkage

britannic
08-14-2003, 18:52
Any tricks to setting up the shifter linkage?

I found I had to swap the transmission shifter fork before I was able to physically hook up the shifter linkage to the 700R4.

I'm finding that it's very hard to shift into park. Where's the best place to start, so I can synchronize the linkage to the tranny?

I'm thinking OD/Drive, since there's a detent on the column shift for that setting.

78Chev
08-14-2003, 22:11
Mine had a bunch of detents on the column shifter - park, reverse, od and 3rd, 2nd and 1st, if I recall. I started out with park, putting the column shifter in park and then finding the detent on the tranny - then tighten the bolt. Then I worked through the gears, adjusting a little until I found a good compromise. The main thing is to make sure it is never in between gear positions. I had a spare P R OD 3 2 1 indicator that I got out of my old 82 GMC to replace the one for the TH400. Even it doesn't line up perfectly, but it is close. Good luck.

britannic
08-14-2003, 23:24
Thanks 78Chev! I spoke with my buddy this evening, who said to experiment with bending the shift down rod so that it throws the crank over center for park, which is where it's currently binding up.

Trip
08-15-2003, 06:22
I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but don't forget to change out to the throttle position switch on the right side of the inj. pump. smile.gif

Trip
08-15-2003, 06:26
Never mind...you're switching the other way.

britannic
08-16-2003, 00:39
With some judicious tweaking on the bell crank down by the tranny, I got a sweet shifting setup. The shift points line up with the indicator as well - bonus! :D

Thanks for the tips everyone!! ;)