PDA

View Full Version : Aargh! Residual Electrical Problems-van running again, though.

gavio
12-17-2003, 15:00
As the subject says, I replaced the fusible links and it's running again. Mostly things seem as they were except.....

My tach got fried somehow - it's an Autometer Diesel Tach with a sensor clamped to the outside of my alternator. Now it reads only from 0 to about 1200 rpm or so - it reads maybe 100 rpm or so high at idle, then just doesn't go above about 1200 rpm. Any ideas?

My voltage readings fluctuate a fair bit, generally running a little lower than I remember, creeping up to 14 volts when the engine is at higher speeds. Do I still have a voltage regulator problem?(please say no, please say no, please, please.....)

And to top it off, my remote keyless entry system seems to have ceased functioning - dammit :(

I'm nervous driving it right now 'cuz I have only a theory about what happened (it's toward the end of my thread titled "Questions about fusible links...") and so I'm not totally certain I've fixed it - it's so much cleaner when you just have some 20 year old part that wore out and you replace it and can say "Well, I FIXED THAT!"

What tests can I do (real limited on tools, here) to see if the electrical system is happy and healthy now? I'm supposed to drive the van down to LA in a few days and I'm nervous about the proposition, to say the least.

Thanks so much for all the help, gang. smile.gif

gavio
12-17-2003, 21:01
Updates:

The tach will kick in above about 2000 rpm and read apparently correctly from there up, then as soon as revs drop below about 2k, the tach falls back off to 1200 rpm again. Whassup here?

Also, when the revs hit 2k, the voltage reading pops up to 14 volts. I'm nervous becasue I'm getting more uncertain about whether I really fixed the problem that caused the fusible links to pop.

Any help appreciated 'cuz I'm scratching my head. :confused: