PDA

View Full Version : CUCV Glow Plug System

cruiserrg
08-15-2003, 18:33
I just purchased a 1984 CUCV M1008. The only trouble with it is that the glow plug system is butchered and I need a good diagnostics for it. The link of the schematic on here is terrible and I can't read the color codes. Pictures of the glow controller and bracket, relay, and associated parts would also help.

Is it better on these to run manually, or use the controller? Also would it be better for the system to be on 12 volt without the resistors, or is there an advantage to running the 24v system.

Lastly, any good links on CUCV technical information would really help, I am finding its very sketchy.

britannic
08-16-2003, 00:56
Congratulations on your CUCV! The advantage of the military glow plug system is that the standard glow plugs (60Gs are great BTW) receive between 10-14v (the 24-28v is resistored down by 50%) for super fast heat up and quick starting.

I strongly recommend getting the military manuals which are available as Acrobat pdf files either from eBay or downloadable from a military website (only the one file isn't available). Unfortunately, the message I posted on the forum a while back that contained the link to that site got deleted during the recent DieselPage problems.

cruiserrg
08-16-2003, 08:21
Thanks for the quick reply. I did just buy a cd with the manuals off e-bay. Will have to wait 'til they get here.

The owner who I bought it from said he just replaced the glow plugs and I don't think he used 60Gs. I believe he said 11Gs or was it 9Gs :confused: . Would they handle the military system or should I look into putting back in 60Gs?

Also, anyone have pics of the military glow controler and where its located. I looked under the dash and see something I believe is the controller but its hanging loose and looks like the bracket is gone. Pics would really help.

britannic
08-16-2003, 09:24
I don't recommend the 9Gs and 11Gs as they may have problems with swelling and earlier burnout. I can recommend the 60Gs, which I have used for the last 9000 miles with no problems.

imported_
08-24-2003, 09:10
I use 13G's in mine no problem