PDA

View Full Version : EGT at approx 900, how much adjustment ?

KEVIN MUNCASTER
10-26-2004, 07:01
I am running a peak of approx 900 degrees at wide open throttle on the highway (80 mph, no load in truck, and with light load (2500# boat, which is the normal working load for the truck), it will pull on hills around the same temp.

I'm getting little to no black smoke. None at high speed with no load and little smoke when towing.

Will 1/8 - 1/6 of a turn be okay on the pump ?

Will things change when i install the timing gear set ?

If so, maybe i'll wait and do the install first. (not knowing the condition of my existing chain) I'm pulling out the rad for recore and will replace the water pump at same time.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Kev

wthif
10-26-2004, 08:23
Warmer weather will make a difference in EGTs might want to wait for summer. I'm noticing almost a 200* drop with the cooler weather. ;)

arveetek
10-27-2004, 06:04
I'd go ahead and turn that pump up. When my truck was still naturally aspirated like yours, I had turned the pump up a full 1/4 turn, and I was producing around 1300 degrees when towing hard. The higher EGT's are okay for a n/a engine.

You'll get a lot more power when you add the fuel to your n/a 6.2L. At only 900 degrees, you're not getting near the amount of power that you could.

Casey

wthif
10-27-2004, 09:58
Oops.. :rolleyes: When I saw "Banks" in his description I stopped reading and assumed you had a turbo. I would also agree with arveetek

britannic
10-27-2004, 16:33
:D I was partial to turning the pump up for the winter and back down again in the summer - because I could!!