PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 WHITE SMOKE

A M A
12-20-2003, 16:13
6.2 IS SMOKING LIKE IT NEVER WARMS UP IT RUNS 800RPMS AT 200F AND IT BLOWS WHITE SMOKE VERY RICH LIKE DUMPING TO MUCH FULE BUT I BRING RPPMS UP TO 1100 AND IT CLEANS UP RUN DOWN ROAD FINE UNTIL I COME TO STOP LIGHT THEN IT STARTS TO RUN ROUGHT AND STARTS TO LOAD UP AND BLOW VERY RICH WHITE SMOKE PLEASE HELP ME

dieselbegreat
12-20-2003, 18:50
From the brief description you gave, possible cause includes but is not limited to

injection timing retarded
injection pump fault
loose or slipped timing chain
restricted fuel return line

DmaxMaverick
12-21-2003, 02:55
Sounds typical of air leak (sucking air into fuel) or air lock. Air trapped in high pressure lines will retard timing. Did you change the fuel filter or other fuel component lately? Could be mechanical fuel pump, if it has one, or fuel pick-up line.

A M A
12-21-2003, 08:27
hi to dieselbegreat how would i go about check the timeing i know alot about gas this is my 1st diesel i tell u this it dose run fine when the ideal i at 1100 but i drop it to 800 it will start to load up and bloe the white smoke t have not changed any fule parts before this had started now i did see a leaking injector and i did change did not fix i did get a new f/f but have not put it on yet i have gone throu and crack all injectors at the line to see if they all were working they all made a diff in running when i open the lines i was plowing when this happen i did have the rpms up i did bounce off the revlimter but it runs so nice when u go down the road where in nj are u iam in the poconocos pa any help is a great thank u ama

A M A
12-21-2003, 08:34
dmax i had this before i did any work the truck is old 1985 fule line may have a leak is that what u are saying would it run good at higher rpms if that was the case i did run truck low on fule is that a bad thing for this time of year this is my 1st diesel thank uu ama

britannic
12-21-2003, 13:34
Originally posted by dieselbegreat:
From the brief description you gave, possible cause includes but is not limited to

injection timing retarded
injection pump fault
worn timing chain
restricted fuel return line After checking this list and for air leaks, you may also want to check the cylinder compression.

A M A
12-21-2003, 15:35
if i have a bad cylinder it would run bad all the tmie or am i wrong

ropinfool
12-21-2003, 15:53
I had a F 7.3 for about a week. The second day I had it it started smoking white smoke at idle, not at higher rpms just idle. It got worse as the week went by. Finally, at the end of the week, I started it up and you couldn't see any of the neighbors the smoke was so bad. Took it to a reputible dealer and he found a cracked liner. I know ours don't have liners but my point is no smoke going down the road, even pulling a trailer with 6 tons of hay up Snoqualmie pass. So possibly water leak into cylinder?? Good luck. John

A M A
12-21-2003, 16:05
you say your truck ran fine even thoug it was getting water

A M A
12-21-2003, 16:07
WAS THE SMOKE VERY RICH WITH DIESEL SMELL

dieselbegreat
12-21-2003, 16:29
Hmm. Interesting point about maybe coolant getting into the cylinder making white exhaust. Yeah, does the smoke smell like fuel or sweet like coolant? Is your coolant level dropping at all day to day? When you're plowing, do you have a good air filter? You don't want to get snow in your intake - that would be very bad.

A M A
12-21-2003, 16:44
smells like fuel bad almost make eyes water it is loading up

A M A
12-21-2003, 17:15
iam going to see if fule pump timming is on in the morning i now it fule i just dont now wear to look i did get a chilton book today i will see if the fule timeing is out it might have moved whene i hit the revlimter i hope will put new fulefilter on also it comes in monday

catmandoo
12-21-2003, 18:40
what kinda temperature you have out there .could it possibly be to the point of gelling the fuel?

A M A
12-21-2003, 18:55
well it been about 25 to 35 i dont think thats it i have been running fule from truck stop i did run a diesel inhancer a real good one cant think of name i also put some marvil mystery oil i am running that tank now thank u

ueckebes
12-28-2003, 12:24
ama sorry for youre troubles , between my dad and i we have close to a million miles worth of 5.7,6.2,6.5,and 6.6 gm diesel exp, most good but a lot of bad to.here is a list of some of those 6.2 problems we have had or seen someone else have. bad pumps can run rough emit whiteish blue smoke a lot of other probs.rebuilt a engine once installed and drove next day started white smokeing latter found when bored at machine shop a casting pore had surfaced and could be seen only by magnifluxing .next had a friend loose all his belts and ran one hot fixed and drove 4 months started white smokeing looseing little coolant had a cracked head .next my 82 3/4 ton blew a head gasket it started with very little white smoke when first started and adding a little coolant on ocasion finaly one day it started runing rough white smokeing and finialy started looseing excess coolant.dad had one blow a head gasket and run rough blew whiteish smoke an even made knocking noises but didnt loose coolant. lastly had a leak at secondary fuel filter once didnt loose fuel but was letting air in ,it would run rough and white smoke clear up and do it again finialy on a constant bases .if you suspect cracks or gaskets smoke will be coming out of one side of the dual exhaust and not both normaly .hope this helps

A M A
12-28-2003, 18:10
thank u for reply i had talked to tim a accuratediesel and come to find out the i/p is on the way out internal leak so iam going to get a new pump wiyh a set of 6.5 injectors for then some day soon put a banks on her i do a lot of pulling and it is hilly hear so it will work out nice thank u for your time