PDA

View Full Version : Snag during pump adjustment......

KEVIN MUNCASTER
10-28-2004, 04:36
All was progressing well with my first attempt at a pump adjustment, when the right front pump cover bolt broke off in the pump housing......#@&*%^ and a few other choice words were uttered as my 12 year old observed with a look of bewilderment. I continued and gave her a 1/4 turn, made a vain attempt to remove the broken bolt, but had to shut the job down for lack of tools. Will complete tonite, hopefully. Scared to damaged the pump housing, will have to McGyver something if it goes sour.

At least now I know what I'm into to make an adjustment.....

Kev

gavio
10-28-2004, 10:09
I had the same thing happen when I was having problems with fuel delivery last year. On a van, it's even more annoying 'cuz the IP is up under the dashboard so you can't even get a good look at it.

Anyway, I got the smallest screw extractor they sell at ACE hardware and tried that. You want to be sure you tape off the opening in the pump housing so no schrapnel (like NONE, ZERO) gets into your IP before you start drilling. As I recall, the extractor itself did not quite do the job, but what did work was that after I had done some drilling with the bit included with the extractor, I could then wedge a larger drill bit into the hole (by hand) and the sharp edge on the bit grabbed down into the screw enough to bite. You can't imagine my relief when that screw started backing out! :D

Oh, and the fuel delivery problem turned out to be a fuel filter, when all was said and done :rolleyes:

Good luck!

chetp
10-28-2004, 14:09
Having a few reverse (left handed) drill bits really helps at times. Often just the drilling will walk the broken bolt out.

KEVIN MUNCASTER
10-28-2004, 17:48
Got it out, turned the pump a 1/4 turn. Will try it out tomorrow. Went better than expected, save for the bolt incident. Cant' wait to play some more.

Hey Chet, got any pics of your 72 with a diesel ?

Sounds neat, would like to see that. Did you do it your self ?

kev

chetp
10-29-2004, 13:39
Kev,
I have many photos. My son and I did it.
We used a "donor" truck, and it went very smooth.
It runs great, and is fun to drive. We have dual
straight pipes on it, so it sounds great.

I'll see if I can post a few pix.