PDA

View Full Version : The best source for new glow controller & plugs

88 K30
12-21-2003, 06:24
I need to replace my controller. I get no glow in the "run" position, despite getting voltage accross the harness, but I do get glow in the "start" position. Every once in a while, it will work normally, but mostly it doesn't. If I crank it about 10-15 seconds until the plugs warm up a little, it will usually start, however it will also flicker during the afterglow cycles (unless I rev the engine a little, then it glows bright).

Anyway, I figured I would replace the plugs while I'm at it. I was thinking of getting John Kennedy's quick glow plugs, but what controller is recommended? I have read that the real GM part is the only way to go. Anyone have opinions or good luck with an aftermarket piece????

Thanks.

CleviteKid
12-21-2003, 08:45
If anyone DID have good luck with an aftermarket copy of the glow controller, that is just one data point. Over the 7 years of TheDieselPage.com we have found that General Motors actually knows something about diesel engines, and the Genuine GM Parts are the best bet for success. On something like the glow controller I would not gamble on anything else.

Dr. Lee http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/flash.gif

88 K30
12-21-2003, 14:43
Originally posted by CleviteKid:
If anyone DID have good luck with an aftermarket copy of the glow controller, that is just one data point. Over the 7 years of TheDieselPage.com we have found that General Motors actually knows something about diesel engines, and the Genuine GM Parts are the best bet for success. On something like the glow controller I would not gamble on anything else.

Dr. Lee http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/flash.gif Thanks, Dr. Lee. I will get the GM controller. How about those Kennedy "Quick-glow" plugs? Anyone use them? Thoughts/opinions?

ropinfool
12-21-2003, 15:55
I wish I had bought Kennedy's plugs. I bought the 60g's and had to add about 10 seconds of glow time or else it started hard. Now that I've moved to So. Cal. I can take out the extra resistor and we'll see how that works. Good luck. John

Dan Wilson
12-24-2003, 09:11
I installed the Kennedy plugs when I redone my 83 van. My batteries were bad and when the battery guy started the van it scared him because he sayed he never had one of these 6.2 start so easy. Also had new IP and injecters. Last week the temp was in the teens and the unit starts on the first glow. I think they are the way to go.
Dan